What's new

If you were starting over...

Mine is three weeks old tomorrow and I'm still happy with it; no other tablet out there doubles for what it can do. There are always future developments but for now it is what I want. The graphics (screen resolution) and true windows power make it unique.

souldier

I'd probably wait for the Lenovo 11S to have haswell, be thinner and lighter. I wouldn't be able to last that long without a computer though. So what I'm probably going to end up doing is selling my surface pro for as much as I can get it, then get the next generation Lenovo 11s.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Surface Pro, but I really miss laptop functionality sometimes like always having a full keyboard, adjustable screen angle, and being able to rest upon your lap. A perfect convertible computer for me would be a thinner and lighter Lenovo 11S with the Haswell chip.

voodooevil

As much I have reservations about Google, I would not like to ive up my Nexus 10. It is an excellent e-reader (for me) and media (mainly film). Moreover, it is also an excellent reference machine for me.

Reference machine? Well, I put a lot of my reference materials - which are in either PDF and/ or ePUB formats - on it, which I use when working on the RT. Of course, I also use the RT for a lot of my reading and online work.

I can't see myself getting the Pro in the foreseeable future. But then again, a lesson I have learnt is - never say never!

I actually didn't return my nexus 10. I gave it to my wife. It is actually a great tablet, especially for reading eBooks. What I don't understand is why people wait to buy a product because something better is always going to be around the corner. I am waiting for people to say they are not going to buy the Xbox one because they are waiting for the Xbox two. If its a money thing I get it...

mitchellvii

removeab le battery not happening

It's already removable.

3376290590_c4d2d99645.jpg

Igor

It's already removable.

Can you please post a guide for your method? I tried using the chisel on the battery indicator but when I finally got through it wasn't there at all! Maybe I'm using the wrong type of chisel or something. Also now my SP is running sort of weird, it keeps shutting itself off and the screen keeps flashing. Anyone else had these issues when trying this?

kristalsoldier

I actually didn't return my nexus 10. I gave it to my wife. It is actually a great tablet, especially for reading eBooks. What I don't understand is why people wait to buy a product because something better is always going to be around the corner. I am waiting for people to say they are not going to buy the Xbox one because they are waiting for the Xbox two. If its a money thing I get it...

True. Having agreed, I should also say that I have often caught myself thinking in this manner.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Can you please post a guide for your method? I tried using the chisel on the battery indicator but when I finally got through it wasn't there at all! Maybe I'm using the wrong type of chisel or something. Also now my SP is running sort of weird, it keeps shutting itself off and the screen keeps flashing. Anyone else had these issues when trying this?

You need to dunk your SP in water first. I didn't mention that previously because I thought it was obvious.

OP
C

Cike

Thanks for the feedback, all.

the reason I asked is because my Surface Pro is having a problem: there are ugly yellow patch appearing along the right side of the screen. I anticipate that the only resolution will be to return it for replacement which means a lot of work but also opportunity. I assume I'll get a fairly pristine replacement from Microsoft which I could sell pretty easily (my current model is all scratched up)

The main reason that I would consider life without a Surface Pro is that the battery life is so bad. I understood that it would only last four hours, but I didn't realize how much of a problem it would be. For example, I think the pen is awesome for taking notes, but if I'm in an all day conference meeting I have to break out the paper pad and ink after a few hours. If this lasted for 8 hours, I would not consider giving it up.

C

kristalsoldier

the reason I asked is because my Surface Pro is having a problem: there are ugly yellow patch appearing along the right side of the screen. I anticipate that the only resolution will be to return it for replacement which means a lot of work but also opportunity. I assume I'll get a fairly pristine replacement from Microsoft which I could sell pretty easily (my current model is all scratched up)

The main reason that I would consider life without a Surface Pro is that the battery life is so bad. I understood that it would only last four hours, but I didn't realize how much of a problem it would be. For example, I think the pen is awesome for taking notes, but if I'm in an all day conference meeting I have to break out the paper pad and ink after a few hours. If this lasted for 8 hours, I would not consider giving it up.

C

Well, certainly, you should seek a replacement which, you should be able to get without too much hassle. I can fully relate to the battery problem. This is one of the major reasons I did not opt for the Pro even thought using the Pen to take notes is a functionality that I really wanted (and continue to want). Obviously you chose the Pro knowing its capabilities and shortcomings - which is also why I will not suggest that you consider the RT. Perhaps, in your case, the best bet would be either get a replacement Pro and deal with the battery life. Or, get rid of the Pro and wait for a fresh issue of Win 8.1 hybrids that should hit the market later this year. Of course, in the latter instance, you may or may not get the note-taking capability. But that would depend on what is available in the market at that time. Good luck!

MJS9

C

Can't help with the yellow patch thing, but you might find big gains with a custom power profile without losing any functionality. For reference I get over 6 hours using OneNote with reference material in the background (Word, Excel and PDF, and some Outlook). I'm told that also using Airplane Mode adds a modest amount too but I haven't tested it.

I think this is the article I used, but there may be better out there - here