What's new

iFixit Teardown

jedge

Just to add to the topic, here is a great video with the Development Manager of the SP3.
I've watched it a few times already, really fascinating. One question though, what is that blue band on his wrist?!? (You can see it best at 1:25)

[video=youtube;Xgw0R24xOPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgw0R24xOPM&list=FL58fjc5LbBxmy2sjbQ1kJ7w&index=2[/video]

Why does it have a "Marvell 88W8897 WLAN + BT4.0 + NFC Combo Chip" but no NFC support on the device?

Last edited:

unruledboy

@jedge

MS Surface Pro simply does not take advantage of the NFC function.... that might add extra cost for it to work.

and the blue wrist band should be some kind of NFC pass within the conference.

godoftroll

lol - I've never seen so much adhesives on an electronics device before.
Looks like it's pretty much impossible to upgrade...Was hoping I could at least sneak a bigger storage.

CrippsCorner

Unfortunate how they managed to smash the screen! Whoops
yelling.png
anyone seen them do this with a device before!?

leeshor

Broken screens seem to be a common occurrence in teardowns there. I think it leans a little more in favor of a screen crack on tablets. Probably due to the size of the screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
NFC will not work through a metal chassis and one of the design ethos from the Surface Team is no plastic on the device (with the exception of the LTE version of the Surface 2).

dleuen

NFC will not work through a metal chassis and one of the design ethos from the Surface Team is no plastic on the device (with the exception of the LTE version of the Surface 2).

I'm not an EE but I don't think that's true. For example HTC One supports NFC and it has a metal construction.

Arnieaz

Just to add to the topic, here is a great video with the Development Manager of the SP3.
I've watched it a few times already, really fascinating. One question though, what is that blue band on his wrist?!? (You can see it best at 1:25)

[video=youtube;Xgw0R24xOPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgw0R24xOPM&list=FL58fjc5LbBxmy2sjbQ1kJ7w&index=2[/video]

Why does it have a "Marvell 88W8897 WLAN + BT4.0 + NFC Combo Chip" but no NFC support on the device?

The blue band on his wrist is an anti-static band. Used to ground anyone working on sensitive electronics.