What's new

I'm actually optimistic for Windows 8.1

mitchellvii

Based upon what I have been reading of late, it seems that perhaps Microsoft "gets it" and may actually make the changes to Windows 8 the marketplace has been demanding. The lynchpin of these will be allowing Desktop users to be Desktop users without forcing them into a Modern UI environment. And why force users into Modern UI? If Modern UI is really all that, wouldn't users be drawn there organically?

It seems that the people who have the least confidence in Modern UI are Microsoft themselves. If they truly believe in their vision why not give users the opportunity to opt out? They would be saying, "You don't have to use Modern UI but it is so awesome you are going to want to!...". Isn't that more compelling than "You have no choice but you'll learn to like it after a while...". Do you want to have your parents pick who you will marry or would you rather fall in love on your own?

Anyway, for touch users Modern UI shows real promise. Some rough edges but in many ways it is an enjoyable experience. The advent of inexpensive new technology like Leap Motion will allow people to transform their legacy monitors into 10 point touch beasts for only $80. That can't hurt. But that still doesn't mean that Microsoft can walk away from mouse users. There will still be a lot of those for a long time and they must be heard. Luckily for Microsoft, it sounds as if this time, they may actually be listening.

We'll see. The first blush of Windows 8.1 goes public in June. We'll find out then if Microsoft "gets it" or not. I am hopeful.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Ok guys, a last warning! Any further non-constructive post and you'll receive infractions/bans.
Mitchellvii: You have the right to complain about things you don't like, but don't start a thread about every tiny thing again and again and again. You've started some threads, so keep them alive with a good discussion.
tonyz3: You have the right to complain about things you don't like, but don't troll in every thread of mitchellvii again and again and again.
I think you two both know what to think about each other. (if not: write pm's).
I couldn't be bothered to create much effort in this text, because i'm ... with such behavior and because none of you is better.
So: Count to ten, rethink and continue to contribute useful posts/threads to this forum. We need the pros and the cons, but no trolling or blubbering.

pallentx

I wouldn't get too optimistic. Everything I have read on blue sounds like pretty minor tweaks. If you are hoping for a complete abandonment of everything new in Windows 8, don't hold your breath. You can already opt out of the modern interface. The only thing you are "forced" into using is the new start screen. If you don't install modern apps and click the desktop as soon as your computer boots, you will never see the modern interface the way things are now.

I'm looking forward to it for the opposite reasons. MS is also working to further complete the modern UI experience. Things we currently have to drop into the Control Panel for will be added to the Modern Settings screens.

I know you are not alone in your hate for all the new stuff in Windows 8. Its hard to get a feel for how many users feel the same. I see complaints in Amazon reviews of Windows 8 PCs from time to time and I also see people commenting about how they love it. I would love to see MS find a balance that can make both sides of this polarizing change happy.

Last edited:

tonyz3

i dont think you will ever be able to make both sides happy and do what they are trying to do as posted elsewhere- one complete OS to work over various devices. They might be able to kick the can down the road a bit with a BLUE band aid if they decide to bring the DT stuff in but eventually this issue will pop up again as they want to shift to metro in the future. my $.02 is deal with it now and get rid of the DT

Last edited:

tonyz3

Ok guys, a last warning! Any further non-constructive post and you'll receive infractions/bans.
Mitchellvii: You have the right to complain about things you don't like, but don't start a thread about every tiny thing again and again and again. You've started some threads, so keep them alive with a good discussion.
tonyz3: You have the right to complain about things you don't like, but don't troll in every thread of mitchellvii again and again and again.
I couldn't be bothered to create much effort in this text, because i'm ... with such behavior and because none of you is better.
So: Count to ten, rethink and continue to contribute useful posts/threads to this forum. We need the pros and the cons, but no trolling or blubbering.

Thanks Lucy. CharlieBrownLucyFootball.gif.........................:wink:

pallentx

I don't see the desktop going away for a long time. Allow a few retro options back to appease those struggling with the transition might be just the thing to buy more time. I really think most problems people are having will mostly go away with time as people slowly adjust. For my own use, I prefer not to have two ways to work - a desktop method and a tablet method. If the same UI is on both I prefer to have a more unified experience as much as possible - even if that means having to undo some old habits and learn something new that may not be comfortable at first. If tablet sales go well, that will help a lot. My parents hated the move to Windows 7 from XP, but they are very interested in a tablet right now. If they get a tablet and use it a while, moving to Windows 8/8.1 on the desktop will be much easier.

DOS

I am beginning to believe we will end up seeing the Start Button revived for Windows 8.1; however, what it actually will do is yet to be seen.

But I am hoping for a lot of enhancements to the Modern UI. If Microsoft wants the end user to migrate to the Modern UI, then let them do as much as possible there to prevent them from using the Desktop.

tonyz3

I am looking forward to the split screen option. I also hope they fix the ability to have a metro snap on each screen on a dual screen setup. Oh yeah an easier way to get to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles

kristalsoldier

I am looking forward to the split screen option. I also hope they fix the ability to have a metro snap on each screen on a dual screen setup. Oh yeah an easier way to get to the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth toggles

Absolutely! This would be really helpful. Also, an app or something to show date, time and battery meter when in the Modern UI space would be very nice! Of course, the other things that I would want is MS to dramatically improve their Mail and Calendar app (this is especially true of the RT - other alternative would be a free version of Outlook).

machistmo

I do not see anything trolling or blubbering about stating one's opinion and speculation on upcoming changes to the OS. What I read in your 'last warning' is "ok guys say nice things and be MS fanboi's or you will be banned."

Feels, well, Fascistic. Posts that discuss the Horrible state the Metro interface is in have gotten us to the point that MS is actually changing the OS to allow us to avoid it. I don't think asking people to NOT say what they think is a good place for these Forums to be. We are a subset of users, a subset of a subset of a subset of a niche at best. Nothing posted here will drastically affect the fortunes of the Windows 8 platform, but I do think people should feel free to discuss openly their views of the state of the OS as it is now and the changes that have so far been announced.

Yea Mitchellvii is openly negative and has every right to be openly negative. I watched the video of Julie Larson-Green saying they did "ENDLESS testing and everyone loved METRO, etc." What a load of nonsense. It is BAD. It is so bad that they are delivering the apology in 8.1. Starting to crack-down on the complainers is not a good place to be.

I remember playing AGE OF CONAN and they turned into absolute NAZIS on their forums as players complained and/or made suggestions. Anything that was not utter PRAISE for the game was subject to move/delete/ ban.. How is FUNCOM doing these days? Does anyone even play Age of Conan?