What's new

I'm Leaning Towards the i5 Over the M3

eduardmc

Eduardmc, I reread the thread you posted a couple of times and am getting more comfortable with the concept of underclocking. There are still some aspects of the setting changes that I don't understand.
  1. One poster stated that if you reverse the registry change you can "get the sleep-state back." The original poster liked his comment. I posted a message asking what this statement means and why would these setting changes eliminate the sleep state. I haven't gotten a reply yet.
  2. I understand why he recommends reducing the maximum processor speed, but I don't understand why he increases the minimum processor speed. When asked this question the OP just said it was his preference, but didn't fully explain why.
I don't make changes to the settings on my computers unless I have a good understanding of what I'm doing. Also, even if I understand what I'm doing, I need to have a good reason to make a change because there's always a risk that something could go wrong. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

While I'm curious to understand these setting changes and would like to have this option in the future, I don't have a strong enough current need to attempt the changes right now. But it's nice to know that I have the option. Thanks for posting about it.

1) Is true if you use the regedit value change to get the power option enable you will lose sleep option. If you change the value back to default the sleep option comes back, I had this problem at the beginning. I didn't want to give up sleep mode since I use it. NOW, if you use the second link that I sent you to just enable minimum state and maximum state then you don't lose sleep at all, so this is the best option for you. Must of the setting in power option are not needed, u only need the this 2 options to accomplish what you want.

2)Not sure why he would set up minimum state so high, but I believe is just to maintain cpu speed at about same frequency so temp stay about the same. From what he said if cpu temp is maintain between 50c-60c fan will not turn ON. He tried pushing the cpu with heavy 100% cpu usages apps and temp never reach the point to turn FAN ON since temp is just fine for cpu to run without it. I tried to leave the minimum state at 5% on both and I think it works better since cpu would reach much lower temp (less voltage) since it will maintain its lower default frequency. Here are my setting if you want to use it, I5 will be FANLESS (even in games) , COOL (gets a little warm in gaming), 25% MORE BATTERY LIFE. After reading this thread I have been heavily testing this to see which would be the right setting for me for better battery/performance ratio fanless and cool. With this setting I did not see any performance drop on 99% of the things I do except benchmarks.

Minimum state on both 5%
maximum state on both 80%

OP
D

DavidZ

I just went to Best Buy and returned the M3. I hated to see that little fanless wonder go! Me and the i5 will miss him...er...it.

If you are close to microcenter get the i5 for the same price has a m3.

Thanks for letting me know. I got $100 back on the i5.

Get the I5, if you want same performance and BETTER battery life than the m3 just underclock the cpu to same speed of the M3 creating a new power profile.

Before I returned the M3, I made the registry change and then undid it just to see how it worked. It's nice to know that I can do this and other tweaks in the future to squeeze out more battery life. For now, 5 hours is enough for my needs.

Mikewired

I am getting way better battery life from my I5 than my m3. I have had an m3 for a few weeks and have not been happy with the battery life! Today I picked up an I5 4 128 and after 3 hours I am at 65%. This is smoking my m3. I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the m3? I would get 4 ish hours with battery saver on. I am not using battery saver on I5.

OP
D

DavidZ

I am getting way better battery life from my I5 than my m3. I have had an m3 for a few weeks and have not been happy with the battery life! Today I picked up an I5 4 128 and after 3 hours I am at 65%. This is smoking my m3. I am wondering if there may be something wrong with the m3? I would get 4 ish hours with battery saver on. I am not using battery saver on I5.
I agree, your experience doesn't sound right. It wouldn't surprise me if your M3 is defective. From everything I've read, there are a lot of defective SP4s out there, particularly the early shipments.

My i5 and M3 work fine except for the usual flakiness discussed in this forum. However, I'm not pushing the edge of the envelope as many others are here.

dbv

I have an SP4 i5 128 4gb and also an unopened SP4 M3. I am curious to the posts above why you kept the I5 4gb over the M3? I only paid about $680 (Target deal) for the M3 and not sure the i5 I have is worth the $210 difference. I only have a couple days to return both or keep one.

I am disappointed in the i5 battery life and was hoping maybe the M3 would be better. I mostly use it for browsing, word, excel and powerpoint. Some Photo Editing, but basic stuff. Thanks!

OP
D

DavidZ

I have an SP4 i5 128 4gb and also an unopened SP4 M3. I am curious to the posts above why you kept the I5 4gb over the M3?

There's really nothing I can add to what's already been said in this thread. I would be happy with either the M3 or the i5. It was a very close call. I had to return one of them. I liked the fact that the i5 was a tad faster and had better sound (which may have just been variation in manufacture.)

I only paid about $680 (Target deal) for the M3 and not sure the i5 I have is worth the $210 difference. I only have a couple days to return both or keep one.

Wow, that's a huge discount on the M3. How did you get that? I went to Target's website and it's listed for full retail ($899).

I am disappointed in the i5 battery life and was hoping maybe the M3 would be better. I mostly use it for browsing, word, excel and powerpoint. Some Photo Editing, but basic stuff. Thanks!

Check out my battery test thread.

dbv

There's really nothing I can add to what's already been said in this thread. I would be happy with either the M3 or the i5. It was a very close call. I had to return one of them. I liked the fact that the i5 was a tad faster and had better sound (which may have just been variation in manufacture.)

Wow, that's a huge discount on the M3. How did you get that? I went to Target's website and it's listed for full retail ($899).

It was on Cyber Monday and then used my redcard for additional 5% and then had another coupon for 5%. Should have gotten the i5 8gb one then. :) That is why probably makes more sense to keep the M3, as not sure the i5 is worth that much more.

Check out my battery test thread.