What's new

I'm Looking for a Media Player Modern UI App

Nuspieds

There seems to be a ton of Media Player apps in the Windows 8 Store and most seem to be the same app with a slightly different name. Whatever the case, I'm skeptical that they're different and because I already bought one that wasn't able to play my .MPG files, I don't want to rush and buy another one.

The MPG files play fine in Windows 8 Desktop Media Player, but not in the app I purchased. Furthermore, I just tried the Video app and it could play another set of MPG files I have, but not some others. Again, strangely, Desktop Windows Media Player has no issues playing them, so I don't understand the issue! :(

Anyway, if anyone can recommend to me a media player app that plays a whole variety of file formats, I'd greatly appreciate it. This would be 99.9% for playing videos.

Thanks!

Rvacha

I am using Metro Media Player and I like it a lot. About the only thing reviewers ding it for is a lack of mkv support. I'm OK with that since I don't have too many and it turns out there aren't many that support it anyway. Unlike a lot of them it is network friendly and will actually stream videos from a network

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

have you tried multimedia 8
This was a bit better, but when I went to open my MPG files, it did not list them. Some were (they were recorded with the .TS extension) but the bottom line is that all those MPGs that I have and play with Desktop WMP8 are not appearing and don't play. Doesn't make any sense. :(

Thanks, though, and I did like this app better than the one I purchased.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

I am using Metro Media Player and I like it a lot. About the only thing reviewers ding it for is a lack of mkv support. I'm OK with that since I don't have too many and it turns out there aren't many that support it anyway. Unlike a lot of them it is network friendly and will actually stream videos from a network
I was excited when I saw my files appearing in the list at least with this app...but then I opened and I got a Playback error and a message about a codec may be missing.

So what could my next step be to get the missing codec?

Thanks!

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

IF you can hold off VLC player should be getting its metro app out soon.
Ok, thanks.

Yes, there is no rush, as I can continue to use WMP.

Hopefully "soon" means sooner than later because I really do like Modern UI apps! :)