What's new

Immersed VR on SP6?

Turbo4AWD

I've had a Quest 2 VR headset for a month or so now and am really interested in the Immersed VR app. Just wondering if any Surface Pro 6 users in here have tried it out yet. I'm curious to see how the Surface Pro 6 handles up to 5 displays in the virtual world as well as the passthrough functionality that lets you setup windows to see your drink, keyboard, phone, etc in the real world while getting work done on the 5 or less screens in the virtual world.

I imagine this application will be great for working in Coffee Shops or in a space where you can't really fit multiple monitors but need the extra screens for work. Hoping to try the software out soon since it requires a $15/month subscription (and of course a VR headset) to get more than two screens/computers simultaneously.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Well, I'm not currently using 4 screens as I doubt there is a need, but I guess I could fire up one more since I'm using my gaming laptop and not the Surface Pro 6 just yet, but I will still try it out to see how it performs anyway. Regardless, this is a great way to get work done IMO as it allows you to focus and provides a great environment where people can't see your computer screen, but you can see them thanks to the pass through portals that let you see windows to people or things nearby.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Funnier part was when I enabled the in world webcam for the Teams meeting and my work avatar's mouth was moving and eyes were blinking. Teammates loved it.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Got to use it again for 3 days while I was working from an AirBnB and was able to put my iPhone into the Virtual Environment as well. Worked really nicely as I could see my calls/notifications or just setup the iPhone as a 3rd screen that played YouTube videos in the background while the Earth was rotating outside of the Space Observatory VR environment I was in. Pretty nice.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Update: Figured out why the 3rd screen wasn't coming up. Don't have to use the iPhone as a 3rd screen anymore. This is great. Very powerful little device the Surface Pro 6 is. Anyway, you'll all be happy that I won't be posting comments in this thread anymore. lol

Plantje

Great to hear about these things! I work at a huge global company and I know we're working on implementing the metaverse as well. Unfortunately it hasn't been rolled out to the Netherlands yet. And a lot of our clients don't support this. So I would then only be using it on the company issued laptop. (Which is not my Surface Pro...that is only available for managing directors.)

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Great to hear about these things! I work at a huge global company and I know we're working on implementing the metaverse as well. Unfortunately it hasn't been rolled out to the Netherlands yet. And a lot of our clients don't support this. So I would then only be using it on the company issued laptop. (Which is not my Surface Pro...that is only available for managing directors.)
Really, they don't sell Quest 2 headsets there yet? Interesting. Yeah, I LOVE using it for work, but I haven't tried on work laptops yet (because those laptops really are terrible compared to my Surface Pro 6...you know, typical company, saving more money than they should...) but I imagine it still works, albeit rather slowly...I may try it out on my work laptop and see now that the Immersed App for VR has made updates that claim it can run on machines with low specs now.

I've been using it for Fantasy Football too. Just had the Draft last week and no one could see my screens, but the Passthrough feature let me see them while I was making my picks. It was fun.

Plantje

Noooo, The Netherlands are quite modern. It is just my company that didn't roll out this feature to The Netherlands yet

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Noooo, The Netherlands are quite modern. It is just my company that didn't roll out this feature to The Netherlands yet
Hmm, just to be clear, the "Immersed" app is an application for the Quest 2 VR headset that you install on the headset and on the PC. It lets you wirelessly connect to your PC and creates a virtual environment to work in complete with virtual floating monitors of your choice in size, position, etc.

All that would be required is the ability to have local admin rights to your work computer and a Meta Quest 2 headset connected to the same wifi network OR connected to your work laptop via WiFi Direct (but to use WiFi Direct, you would have to have your laptop connected to the internet via ethernet. Luckily a WiFi 6 network works REALLY WELL and you usually don't have to go through with a WiFi Direct connection to your laptop) so you can access your laptop and setup your screens, etc. I'll attach images and a link so you can check it out.

Plantje

Thanks! Will check it out.

I was just referring to metaverse that is being setup. I think this is connected to using VR for stuff like Teams etc.

Really curious as to how the mixed reality part works.