What's new

[IMPORTANT REMINDER] After you have installed the new update that fixes bad firmware

macmee

I highly recommend you disable auto updates, and that you research each firmware and driver update before installing them in the future.

Microsoft is not Apple, we can't trust them to get it right on the first try.

mennogreg

As much as I'm sour about this firmware (and its effects on mine have been far less than that you and others experienced), I'm still pretty peeved at Apple for their iOS 7 update for wiping my iPad clean, because of an iTunes bug that happened to people who updated through the app on PC. Then, not learning my lesson, when Apple released 7.01, a bug fix release for crying out loud, it wiped my iPod clean as well, despite updating over the air. I had some photos backed up, but lost some very important ones, over a bug fix update!

OP
macmee

macmee

As much as I'm sour about this firmware (and its effects on mine have been far less than that you and others experienced), I'm still pretty peeved at Apple for their iOS 7 update for wiping my iPad clean, because of an iTunes bug that happened to people who updated through the app on PC. Then, not learning my lesson, when Apple released 7.01, a bug fix release for crying out loud, it wiped my iPod clean as well, despite updating over the air. I had some photos backed up, but lost some very important ones, over a bug fix update!

Happened to my iPad too. VERY annoying, but iCloud restored everything I lost except my books.

eelpout

Uh, you can't trust Apple either. :)

I never update any of my Macs without seeing what happens to others first. Just look at their discussion groups; things get broken with their roll-outs all the time.

OP
macmee

macmee

Uh, you can't trust Apple either. :)

I never update any of my Macs without seeing what happens to others first. Just look at their discussion groups; things get broken with their roll-outs all the time.

Installed dozens of firmware updates on iMac and MacBook, never an issue. Come to think of it, never had an issue with ASUS either. Only with Microsoft which is very very ironic.

daniielrp

Hahahahahahaha. Oh you're serious?

I get that you're annoyed with Microsoft, but to suggest Apple, or any company get it right first time shows a extreme lack of insight on your part.

mtalinm

I can understand a messed up update. But more than a month to address it? No rollback? That's what steams me.

Set my power button to hibernate and have been doing that most of the last four (six?) weeks. But just went out for a couple of hours and forgot to / closed the case instead and came back to a toasty surface :-(

rgba32bit

I guess I didn't get hit with the bad firmware badly. It did turn itself on twice over night before I got the October firmware update sent. So far the new firmware hasn't really seemed to change anything much from the good October firmware so hopefully things will get fixed for others.

As for the need to put Apple up on a pedestal is silly and seems a bit opportunistic. I use Macs at work and have coworkers so blindly loyal they'll sing it's praise 2 secs after they are cursing that their machine for just crashing or getting hung. I've used more varied tech than most from IIE -> Amiga -> SGI/Unix -> WindowsNT -> OS9 -> Windows7, OSX, WP8, IOS, Android now Windows 8.1. I can't recall any device that hadn't at one point had some annoying issue that needed to get fixed. Today mostly I'm pissed at Apple because the latest update killed the accelerometer in my daughters IPhone.

So far the latest firmware seems solid and the October firmware that it came with seemed solid.