ynohtna

OMG For real??? :D

Bottom of page 7 of that answers thread on MS

Don Zaf replied on February 2, 2015
icon_down.png

• icon_closeicon.png

Created Don Zaf 2/2/2015 5:55:40 PM

Good news guys!

Samsung just release the fix for this specific issue.

Link here:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/html/product/flash-solution/ssd/ms.html

Nicola

Firmware updated fine, no data loss. Currently recalibrating my drive :)
All went fine and....
OMG!!! My performance went up to almost double!!
I had an average of 200 MB/s, now I have 350!!

Furthermore, I had plenty of spikes in the HDTune graph, while now it is "almost" flat

wditters

Interesting side-effect ... Somehow my average CPU usage seems to have become slightly lower after the update ...

wditters

So then when & how does MS push this out? February Windows Update? March, April...

Not at all I guess. First of all, not every Surface Pro 3 has a Samsung SSD inside, some have a Hynix SSD instead. On top of that, this is a specific Samsung firmware update that is applicable to all Evo 840 drives, Retail and OEM. The unfortunate part is that retail firmware does not work on OEM drives and a specific OEM version has to be developed for each individual OEM (Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft etc). The fact that Samsung published this Surface Pro 3 specific firmware to me proves that Microsoft and Samsung agreed that the issue is too significant and the product (Surface Pro 3) too strategically important to ignore :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not at all I guess. First of all, not every Surface Pro 3 has a Samsung SSD inside, some have a Hynix SSD instead. On top of that, this is a specific Samsung firmware update that is applicable to all Evo 840 drives, Retail and OEM. The unfortunate part is that retail firmware does not work on OEM drives and a specific OEM version has to be developed for each individual OEM (Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft etc). The fact that Samsung published this Surface Pro 3 specific firmware to me proves that Microsoft and Samsung agreed that the issue is too significant and the product (Surface Pro 3) too strategically important to ignore :)
I should think determining if a SP3 has or needs a specific SSD firmware update is a fairly trivial and routine task. Although they may choose to make it optional or just post it and let people serve themselves. No doubt some would try to install it on the wrong units in which case it *should* exit will a message, Samsung firmware not applicable to this device with Hynix SSD. There's always a risk to doing updates so I'm skeptical about them actually pushing it out but will they??? Will they even tell anyone it's available??? or just wait for people to complain or discover it on their own?

I guess Id like them to be proactive and at least notify users its available and they should take precautions before applying it just in case. Sort of like an auto service notification but electronically.

Ideally an Optional Windows Update package would take care of all the notifications, preparations, and updating.

wditters

I guess Id like them to be proactive and at least notify users its available and they should take precautions before applying it just in case. Sort of like an auto service notification but electronically.

Fully agree. The availability of the Samsung Firmware update has also been raised in the Microsoft Surface forum @Microsoft. so I guess they are aware of it regardless.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fully agree. The availability of the Samsung Firmware update has also been raised in the Microsoft Surface forum @Microsoft. so I guess they are aware of it regardless.
I'm certain Samsung didn't develop and post this unilaterally out of the goodness of their hearts and Microsoft is fully aware at the highest levels of Surface Product Management. Now ... what's their plan... :)

wditters

I'm certain Samsung didn't develop and post this unilaterally out of the goodness of their hearts and Microsoft is fully aware at the highest levels of Surface Product Management. Now ... what's their plan... :)

There must have been some peer pressure. Samsung is not exactly known for its zeal and dedication wrt developing OEM firmware updates. They usually leave that up to the OEMs. The fact that in this case Samsung themselves took the initiative tells me that the issue was too important to ignore ;)