What's new

Improving SSD performance

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
lol.

I thought I saw a few posts regarding the evils of BitLocker (reduced performance). I didn't know it acted as such a bane on one's system. I've already turned it off and am currently at 75% completed with De-BitLockerification:p:D
The impact of Bitlocker on disk performance is negligible and for me offers to much protection to turn off....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The main thrust of this thread is about an issue with the Samsung SSDs. Finally the Firmware update has been posted... although it may still not be the Final Released version of the fix. Not sure BL really has much to do with it... In past benchmark testing my performance with BL on was better than most. Since Bitlocker will leverage the hardware encryption in the drives I wouldn't expect to see much if any difference on or off as opposed to using the CPU to do encryption/decryption on a drive without hardware encryption.

Haldi

thx @wditters for the Link.

Really a huge difference! Check this out:
SSD-Preupdate.png

and after the update
SSD-afterUpdate.png

And i only have 50gb free space!

ChrisPanzer

The main thrust of this thread is about an issue with the Samsung SSDs. Finally the Firmware update has been posted... although it may still not be the Final Released version of the fix. Not sure BL really has much to do with it... In past benchmark testing my performance with BL on was better than most. Since Bitlocker will leverage the hardware encryption in the drives I wouldn't expect to see much if any difference on or off as opposed to using the CPU to do encryption/decryption on a drive without hardware encryption.
"main thrust" hmm? U must be going to see 50 Shades of Grey tonight :p

Rob Cohen

@GreyFox7
+1 re: Bitlocker is very important to me and hardware assisted encryption's performance. Besides, every baked in encryption technology I've ever seen takes very little CPU to decrypt as files are accessed. Generally the hit is on encryption and I've heard/see nothing about it being an issue with Bitlocker, especially given the hardware assist.

I, too am always looking for performance improvement ideas but more focused on battery life on my S3P i7 these days.

Rob