What's new

Improving SSD performance

ptrkhh

I dont have ultra-sensitive data on my SP3, and anyway a hacker would have far better luck hacking my internet/online accounts rather than physically stealing my Sp3
Don't you leave your online passwords saved on your browser?

They'd get your device AND your online accounts stored inside it.

sdreamer

No problems with battery here. Still getting about 7-8 hours. Windows 10 demolishes it that though, I get like 3 hours! Ended up having to dual boot (using VHD) if I wanted to give back feedback for 10. But under Windows 8.1 its still going strong with my battery (~6% of wear so far).

Felyne

Hi everyone,

i think i managed to get my good battery life back. I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or not, but I thought maybe I can help someone with the information.

Here is what I did:
1. Reset (not refresh) Windows with the build in recovery
2. Run windows update
3. Disk Refresh for Drive C (the program mentioned in the first page in this thread)
4. Applied my usuall tweaks (indexing, intel driver update and made the power settings available)
5. Installed all programs (Office, PDF Annotator etc.)

The fan ran wild most of the time, but now everything seems settled. Batterybar pro reports a power consumption of about -5000 mW where before the reset and after the samsung firmware the power consumption was -12000 mW

I hope this is helpful to someone. :)

Last edited:

Nicola

Please elaborate.
If someone would be able to get your laptop/hdd encrypted with bitlocker, he would try to dump its content to browse for files where passwords are saved, bank account details, or any other sensitive data are stored.
If the drive is encrypted they either try to retrieve the password from the TPM chip (can't tell how easy that is) or they would need to use brute force attack, probably requiring few years.

Nicola

If someone would be able to get your laptop/hdd encrypted with bitlocker, he would try to dump its content to browse for files where passwords are saved, bank account details, or any other sensitive data are stored.
If the drive is encrypted they either try to retrieve the password from the TPM chip (can't tell how easy that is) or they would need to use brute force attack, probably requiring few years.
From what I'm reading now (didn't know this before, TBH) it seems it might even prevent your surface to boot if the SSD is replaced.

ChrisPanzer

What do you mean "dump"?

If you're already loggin into websites via cookies, bitlocker wont do anything. They have free-range to navigate into your file folders, photos, and everything else. BitLocker isnt what protects the data; the lockscreen password/passphrase protect the data by obviously denying service. I still dont see the relevantcy of bitlocker.

These super-sophisticated ultra-hackers you speak of wouldnt be interested in the data i posses, anyway. Most thiefs are going to try guessing your password a few times and if they got it wrong theyd probably sell the PC at your locale hackshop. Most theifs probably think BitLocker is a toddler shoe store.

I know whatever I say won't dissuade someone hell-bent on sticking up for BitLocker, but the argument makes sense against BL.

Lets do a role-play scenario here. Lets say I leave my Sp3 at a Starbucks. You find it, and 'steal' it. What happens next? BitLocker fairy comes and gives you a good wollopin'?

Last edited:

Nicola

What do you mean "dump"?

If you're already loggin into websites via cookies, bitlocker wont do anything. They have free-range to navigate into your file folders, photos, and everything else. BitLocker isnt what protects the data; the lockscreen password/passphrase protect the data by obviously denying service. I still dont see the relevantcy of bitlocker.

These super-sophisticated ultra-hackers wouldnt be interested in the data i posses, anyway. I know whatever I say won't dissuade someone hell-bent on sticking up for BitLocker, but the argument makes sense against BL.

Lets do a role-play scenario here. Lets say I leave my Sp3 at a Starbucks. You find it, and 'steal' it. What happens next? BitLocker fairy comes and gives you a good wollopin'?
Ehm... Bitlocker prevents you from doing exactly what you say: "have free-range to navigate into your file folders, photos, and everything else".
I believe you miss the meaning of what "encryption" means.

To follow your scenario: I take your SP3, I boot it from any media/means and browse your files (or clone the disk to any other media and do the same)
If someone steals a BL encrypted SP3, he cannot read anything from the HD, no matter how they boot it.