What's new

Improving SSD performance

Nicola

The Samsung controller/firmware does garbage collection, which sounds like what you are talking about. That makes a previously used cell ready for the next write without having to go clean that cell first. It does it when the system is idle.
No, the issue with 840 EVO is different. It is related to cells containing old data (like your Windows files).
The tool is available here (under Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software): http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html
Such tool does not come through the magician software, so no wonder you missed it.
This tool does not work on the SP3, though.
If you google for this issue, you'll see it is similar to what is being experienced with some older SP3. Samsung states the performance drops is noticeable after one month the data has been written.

Nicol

Maximus3D

Attachments

• 2014-10-28_20-35-31.jpg
    2014-10-28_20-35-31.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 662

leeshor

No, the issue with 840 EVO is different. It is related to cells containing old data (like your Windows files).
The tool is available here (under Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software): http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html
Such tool does not come through the magician software, so no wonder you missed it.
This tool does not work on the SP3, though.
If you google for this issue, you'll see it is similar to what is being experienced with some older SP3. Samsung states the performance drops is noticeable after one month the data has been written.

Nicol
Can't tell you how many times I've been on that page and totally missed it.

But I think we've established that there is a difference in model numbers between the EVO drive I use and the one in the Surface.

Last edited:
OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Well, I'm a believer. Here is before the refresh

Capture2.JPG

And after a refresh

Capture1.JPG

So definitely there is something wrong.

olimjj

This is for my SP2 i5 256Gb Before and After refresh Box unchecked

BEFORE.PNG