What's new

In Search of a Small USB 3 Powered Hub w Ethernet for SP3

khit

Im looking for a small powered USB 3 Hub with Ethernet to use on an SP3. I've had a Diamond MM one for a couple of years that has started to fall apart, so I'd like something a bit better built. Are there any powered hubs that could use the USB port on the SP3 charge block to provide power instead of a separate wall wart? would like something very portable.

Edwin009

Hello Khit,

You can try one of these 2 options: HT-UE01 3-Port USB 3.0 HUB with 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter.
Or you can try the Belkin USB 3.0 3-Port Hub with Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.
Hopefully they would work with your device.

agt499

Are there any powered hubs that could use the USB port on the SP3 charge block to provide power instead of a separate wall wart? would like something very portable.
I've never seen one, but that's a great idea. I think I may break out the soldering iron, as the necessary wiring would be trivial, and if you get the length just right it could be very very tidy. Let us know if you find one!

leeshor

I have the Belkin with 3 USB 3.o on thew side and a GB connector on the end. Works great. Got it at the MS Store when I got my SP4.

OP
K

khit

Thanks for the replies, but it doesn't appear that either one of these take external power. I've noticed on more than one occasion using USB drives with my SP3 and the current hub where drives will fall offline. Looking at various threads here I suspect I'm running into the under powered USB port thing on the SP3 which is why I'm looking for something with its own power but still portable enough to throw in my bag.

OP
K

khit

I had considered the dock but felt it was too big and overkill for what Im needing - I don't need to have display out etc. On most days I don't even need the Ethernet functionality, but I do rely on the USB quite a bit.

leeshor

Another option, get a powered USB HUB and a USB Ethernet adapter you can plug into it when needed.

jrioux

Im looking for a small powered USB 3 Hub with Ethernet to use on an SP3. I've had a Diamond MM one for a couple of years that has started to fall apart, so I'd like something a bit better built. Are there any powered hubs that could use the USB port on the SP3 charge block to provide power instead of a separate wall wart? would like something very portable.
Have you looked at the various Surface Pro docks from eTauro (www.etauro.com)? They look very interesting, but I haven't tried them.