What's new

Incipio "capture" and "feather" cases for Surface

oion

Alright guys and gals, I wanted to call out these two products because they don't exist yet and after contacting Incipio, they said they didn't have plans for the second generation Surface ("at this time"). (!)

They look to be very high quality prototypes. If you're interested at all--neither case type exists for the Surface from any other vendor (rugged and snap-on)--I suggest you contact their customer support to express that interest. The molded snap-on case looks very minimalistic and protective to me, unlike the slide-in bulky folding book ones that don't seem to protect the corners.

Harri

I do like the feather, very minimalistic, looks like it will accommodate all the different colors for the keyboards. Although the capture model doesn't seem to utilize the kickstand, I don't know if many of people buying the surface 2 for its two position kickstand will likely opt for the hand strap.

OP
O

oion

I do like the feather, very minimalistic, looks like it will accommodate all the different colors for the keyboards. Although the capture model doesn't seem to utilize the kickstand, I don't know if many of people buying the surface 2 for its two position kickstand will likely opt for the hand strap.

The hand strap is for field work in certain careers; there's another thread about that somewhere, but it's a niche need. I expect the snap-on "feather" case to be more popular. The problem is that the cases for the 1st gen Surface (RT) isn't even available "yet" and we're on the 2nd generation. I don't know how Incipio is going about this. Maybe they're waiting to see just how popular the 2nd gens are--maybe develop Pro versions too.

lchavez

I can't tell for sure, but it does not look like it allows for the surface cooling vents. I like the feather, but this would be a big issue for me.

OP
O

oion

I can't tell for sure, but it does not look like it allows for the surface cooling vents. I like the feather, but this would be a big issue for me.

Well, the Incipio cases linked have been designed only for Surface RT, which doesn't have a heat issue like the Pro does (no fans). It would be nice if they would design them for Surface Pro as well.

The downside of Microsoft changing chassis design with the second generation is that third parties have to realign their products--not as big a deal for decal makers, but molded cases definitely...

TheJokker

The feather case is available in the Microsoft Store for the Pro. I confirmed that it will fit the Surface Pro 2 and took a chance and ordered it. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

OP
O

oion

The feather case is available in the Microsoft Store for the Pro. I confirmed that it will fit the Surface Pro 2 and took a chance and ordered it. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Ohh, nice catch! There's still nothing about 2nd generation stuff on Incipio's own website, and they don't even list Surface Pro as a supported product, so I'm surprised that they're on MS' storefront. It looks like the rugged Capture case with grip includes SP2 in the description, but the Feather case doesn't. But you're right, since the chassis did not change besides kickstand angle between SP1 and SP2, it should fit. Do let us know your impressions... I'm still hoping Incipio will release for Surface 2.

Buy Capture case for Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 - Microsoft Store
Capture for Surface Pro

Built for durability and superior protection, the Capture case for Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 is your go-to case for rugged defense. Featuring a convenient 360-degree rotating handle and adjustable strap, the Capture case will give you peace of mind knowing your Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 is safe and secure.

$69.99

Buy Incipio Feather Case for Surface Pro - Microsoft Store
Incipio Feather Case for Surface Pro

Protect your Surface Pro tablet with this ultra-thin and lightweight snap-on case. It's made with rigid, hard-shell Plextonium for durable protection and features a two-piece sliding application for effortless installation. Its soft-touch finish provides a no-slip grip, and it also provides full access to the tablet's built-in kickstand while maintaining protective coverage.

$39.99

P.S.: Originally I didn't think Incipio had these for the Pro, so lchavez's comment about the vents is cogent now. Better check on that.

cmergel

I think the feather listed for the Pro might be a mistake on the Microsoft site. If you go out to Incipio's site there is nothing listed for Pro just the RT.

Microsoft Surface Sleeves

TheJokker, please let us know and give a review when you get it. It looks nice and I am hoping that it fits the Pro.

Also, if you go to the vendor's page there are a bunch more photo's and that show all angles (including kickstand).