What's new

Incipio "capture" and "feather" cases for Surface

beq

As it turns out though, I may return some of our feathers. For one thing, they don't fit our Surface Docking Stations :(

And while the feather is slimmer than many folio cases, I can't help but wonder if it could've been made even more low profile and lightweight?

Many back covers available for other tablets are much thinner, and with a much shallower lip. In fact, the back covers on our existing iPads (also made of rubberized plastic) look to be 1/3 to 1/2 as thick, and the lip is barely raised above the screen (yet still latches all around the iPad securely). Is it the fact that the SP2 is heavier, and has a moving kickstand, that necessitates the feather to be extra thick and rigid??

The huge lip is particularly annoying on the Surface because of the Windows 8 gestures requiring inward swipes from the bezels...

revmike

Okay I decided to try the feather case and it fit without messing with the screen protector. As for the lip being huge? I don't see it and I have no problem swiping from the sides.

beq

Just curious, does your feather have magnets or foam?

Are there any movements, creaks or noises when holding the unit on different edges?

Do the two halves remain latched after repeated opening/closing of the kickstand?

Can the kickstand close tightly or does it leave a gap at the corners, and do you find that the hinged cover gradually slides down the kickstand a bit?

So far I only have one feather that seems almost perfect without the above symptoms (it's tight all around on the top and bottom halves, without unduly pinching the screen protector).

But since then I've also been getting a bit concerned about heat buildup like others have mentioned... And still wish it's thinner...

revmike

Foam
No movement, creaks or noises.
The two halves remain tight and no gaps with the kickstand with no sliding.

Karl Havens

I just got an Incipio Feather case and put it on my Surface Pro. Not happy and have contacted the company. There are two issues. First, the part of the case that fits over the kickstand is not properly sized. When you snap the plastic onto the kickstand, it causes the kickstand to slightly bow outward. The result is that you cannot completely close it. Second, once you put the case together, if you ever want to take it apart (as for example you might do in an attempt to fix that first problem), it won't snap back together tightly. Either I have a defective case, or they made it to work just one time. The two sections now are lose from one another and the top half easily slides off. Overall, really annoying.

Karl Havens

Anyone use a feather case with a screen protector on? I saw the video where a screen protector was not recommend.

Indeed! I just posted something similar and last evening was thinking too about black tape or super glue. Those tabs are one time only. If you take it apart, that's it. Also, the kickstand is compressed by the width of the plastic cover on mine, causing it to bow just slightly so I cannot tightly close it anymore.

Also note that with the plastic cover on a Surface Pro, the viewing angle has changed just a bit and now is even more vertical.

Ugh!

CynanX

Mine arrived today. It's the black version and has foam rather than the magnets.

The flap at the back where the kickstand fits in doesn't close fully. The stand doesn't appear to be bowed, but I guess I could still remove some of the plastic at the sides to see if it helps.. however the main issue I found is that when you close the stand the tabs holding the two sides together pops out at one end.

I like the case a lot and haven't seen anything remotely like it from anyone else, but so far it seems there are only a handful of people on here that have ones that fit 100%, and with being more the exception rather than the rule I think I'll have to send it back and just reside myself to be being extremely careful with the device :(

Oh and the type cover 2 doesn't seem to close easily to me. It puts a lot more strain when it folds over and as I was worried about the cover wearing there already I think this case will just make it worse.

Last edited:

CreativeLemming

Mine arrived today as well. Had to really push the kickstand in to get it to click into place, and it ended up bowed so unclipped the kickstand cover (now doesn't fold flat). Foam on mine too.
Kickstand doesn't like kicking back to the second position with the cover on either.
I see what you mean about the type cover, it is a bit strained although there seems to be enough play there so don't think it will cause an issue.

Update: So I've removed the cover and put it back on again, this time sliding the bottom half in so that the kickstand also slides into the slots (rather than trying to clip in the kickstand afterwards). Might sound obvious but I didn't do it right first time. Now it fits perfectly, no warping and adjusts to both positions easily.

Last edited:

bulls96

my feather case has officially given up. The hinge that attaches on the kickstand cracked. Not durable enough for me.

I do take it out of the case everyday as I just use this as a protector only when I'm at work.

OP
O

oion

That's a shame. There's still no other molded cases on the market besides this. :/ I don't suppose it's under warranty for a refund.

Wonder if people with the Capture case are happy with that ruggedness (no kickstand/keyboard use).

jamesk

my feather case has officially given up. The hinge that attaches on the kickstand cracked. Not durable enough for me.

I do take it out of the case everyday as I just use this as a protector only when I'm at work.

Can you post pics of the cracks? Have you tried contacting Incipio for warranty? The box says 1 year warranty...