What's new

Ink not as smooth in OneNote as Journal

az1787

I'm doing a test on the new pen, in comparison with the stylus wacom of my 'Asus Vivo Tab Notes 8. I have a problem...
When I use OneNote (either metro or desktop), the pen has a sudden a little 'dirty and edgy which is already noticeable only at 100% view. If you use Windows Journal tract edgy as it is now clean, rounded, just a moment after the pen has written a letter and so on.
What does determine the defect in OneNote? I noticed that the VivoTab Notes 8 cleans pen's lines immediately OneNote. Perhaps I need to activate some settings in the new TabletPC?

mitchellvii

OneNote (part of Office) and Journal use different algorithms for font smoothing. This applies to inking as well. One of the reasons why text looks like such crap in Word 2013. So yes, inking will look smoother in Journal.

Ad yes, this was a dumb decision by MS, but there it is. Nothing wrong with your SP3, OneNote 2013 just sucks.

phositadc

I'm doing a test on the new pen, in comparison with the stylus wacom of my 'Asus Vivo Tab Notes 8. I have a problem...
When I use OneNote (either metro or desktop), the pen has a sudden a little 'dirty and edgy which is already noticeable only at 100% view. If you use Windows Journal tract edgy as it is now clean, rounded, just a moment after the pen has written a letter and so on.
What does determine the defect in OneNote? I noticed that the VivoTab Notes 8 cleans pen's lines immediately OneNote. Perhaps I need to activate some settings in the new TabletPC?

az1787, just out of curiosity, how do you find the quality of the pen on the SP3 to compare to the Vivo Tab Note 8? Is handwriting notes better on one or the other, or is it about the same?

Liam2349

OneNote (part of Office) and Journal use different algorithms for font smoothing. This applies to inking as well. One of the reasons why text looks like such crap in Word 2013. So yes, inking will look smoother in Journal.

Ad yes, this was a dumb decision by MS, but there it is. Nothing wrong with your SP3, OneNote 2013 just sucks.

You saying ink looks bad in Word? I just tried it and it seems fine to me?

mitchellvii

You saying ink looks bad in Word? I just tried it and it seems fine to me?

Fonts look bad in Word. The high ppi of this tablet tends to overwhelm the lousy font smoothing so you cant tell as much but pretty obvious on large 1080p monitor. Anyway, nothing from Office 2013 will look as good as prior versions. Many reviewers have commented on this.

OP
az1787

az1787

Phositadc
VivoTab wacom is better for pressure (for that I study hebrew at university with wacom... It is easy and very natural to write hebrew alphabet with wacom pen). For other reasons I prefere SP3 Ntrig!