What's new

Install drivers while powered off

MattTheKiwi

Hey guys, I got myself a S3 a couple of weeks ago, been working great, up until I got to my parents place where I'll be staying for another week for Christmas. I haven't got it to charge properly the whole 3 days I've been here, just constant 'plugged in not charging'. I'd get a bit of charge in, then it would stop, so it's been on the charger the whole time I've been here. I heard that uninstalling the ACPI-Compliant Control Method battery driver could help so I did that. Of course it wouldn't charge, and a few minutes after that it shut down, before I could reinstall the driver. Now it won't charge at all, I left it plugged in all night and it still just gives me the surface splash screen and the low battery symbol and turns off.

I don't even know if it will be possible, but does anyone here know if I can get that driver back on with no power in the Surface? Or even better, if there's some way I can get power into it long enough to get the driver reinstalled?

Cheers guys

kundas1

is it possible the battery is defective? although it should stay on when plugged in! did you try the 2 button restart method? volume down + power button, that might get your S3 going... but as far as installing drivers when the S3 is off is just impossible to do.... maybe try taking it to a MS store to see if they can get it going or give you a new one ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try a different USB charger, best would be something with at least 2a output. maybe try a different cable also but it's most likely the charger or the Surface.