What's new

Installation stalls

edalsie

I need to reset my SP3, but the windows installation keeps stalling at 6%! "installing features and drivers 10% - configuring settings"

I have tried at least 3 times and it keeps getting stuck at the same place each time. This last time I waited about 30 minutes before shutting down again.

My problem is that it won't let me on the internet. Email works just fine, as does everything else i'be tried. For the Internet I keep getting an "unable to connect to the proxy server" error. Using the diagnostic button, it eventually tells me that "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer".

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

First of all it sound like you have some malware in your system that set that proxy. You may be able to correct that by installing Malwarebytes then go to the Internet setting in control panel to set the connection to automatic. Also you may be having a stall if you have a microDSD card installed.

OP
E

edalsie

Thank you for your quick response.
I can't install Malwarebytes since I can't reach out to the internet.

I tried to reinstall again after removing my microSD card... same problem at 6%.

I also tried to find the connection setting so I could reset it... I guess I don't know where to look.
Under settings, network and internet, ...... wait, just found it.. proxy, select automatic on, manual proxy, off.... and there we go. Malwarebytes is next on my list!

Thank you much.

OP
E

edalsie

Way to go!
I installed the Malwarebytes... and after two scans, no problems to be found.
I'm still not sure why I couldn't re-install windows... with it hanging up at 6% all the time... but I guess that is a question for another day.

Again... thank you!

leeshor

Did you do the custom scan? There is a quick scan that's the default and very well could have missed something. There is a reason it was set to a proxy and it may still be there.

OP
E

edalsie

I've got the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and it does not give a 'quick scan' option.... It scans for rootkits, memory, startup files, registry and file system with a heuristic analysis to end it all. It took slightly over 10 minutes to complete.
I still have two concerns -- why I couldn't re-install windows successfully, and why the proxy was set. I recently installed AVG Anti-Virus (free) and wonder if that did it. But I've had it for 2-3 days and the proxy problem didn't appear until this morning. We've had problems with internet speed, but it included all 4 computers and 3 tablets and not just this one, and last evening all seemed just fine.
But I'm up and running -- I'll have to worry about what happened another day.

Thanks!

leeshor

Your AVG is decent but will miss some malware. Most AV programs will and won't do anything after the infection. Try the program at this link to see if it helps. Junkware Removal Tool I think you still have an infection.

OP
E

edalsie

I just downloaded and ran the Removal Tool. It removed a few things, but did not mention any special issues. Nothing seemed to be new. I agree there must be a reason, but all this is very beyond me. I appreciate your help in this.