What's new

Installed 8.1 in German, can't get other languages installed???

bryanz

Hello folks,

I decided to install the 8.1 preview in German, as my surface came only with German, English (UK) not supported for 8.1, and French. I thought that after installing it I could be able to install one of the language packs that are supported by 8.1 (like Spanish, English US; etc). But when I add the language pack, it never downloads it :(

I tried to "refresh my PC" option, and it doesn't work eiher, it tells me something about the isntallation in german, like if there was a problem with the installation, and a refresh can't be done.

Can anyone help me please? I sillt don't want to learn german :(

ArnoldC

If you have the ISO, install en-US. That's what I did for my Acer. On my RT, I used en-US too, but you'll need a hack. Microsoft was clear that the language you installed will be 'for life.'

OP
B

bryanz

Thanks ArnoldC. Microsoft didn't say that in Windows 8.1 you wouln't be able to install any language pack, so really I think they messed it up on this one. Yes they said the installation would remove the installed language packs, but they didn't say the user couldn't install a language pack again. And honestly I can't understand why they wouldn't let to install a language pack that it is supported in the preview.

hotphil

You just need to change the install and display language to EN-US. No need to install in German. Run DISM /online /get-intl at command line - if it still shows EN-GB as install language, you won't be able to stick the preview on yet.

ArnoldC

No, that's not what I meant. I have a language pack installed on my RT 8.1

Right now, the only way I can see fixing that is going the ISO route.

OP
B

bryanz

Yeah I managed to flash the original recovery image again (got it from xda love it) and I even managed to install the Spanish version of 8.1 so happpy with it.

Unfortunately it is not refined yet for me. The email application doesn't cope up with my corporate account (don't know why but it never shows emails, keeps thinking and then closes the app), also I try to install one note mx from the store and it closes the store app :(