What's new

Installed latest windows update and IE is dead

JRTuite

So I installed the latest windows updates for my RT... Now when I click on IE I get the

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

A Certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer

IE wont come up and I cant get online using my RT anymore....

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Plantje

Search for Edge Browser instead. Internet Explorer is being phased out.
I am not too happy with that. On my Surface Pro there are some occasions where I need to connect using IE.
For example if I want to connect Windows Explorer to my company's OneDrive for business or to my client's SharePoint. Then I need to connect using IE, I tried using Edge and I am using Edge for all other browsing, but that doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix that without IE?
I think it is because in the background when connecting Windows Explorer to SharePoint, IE engine rather than an edge engine is used. The only thing Windows Explorer about it is the interface.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
On my Surface Pro there are some occasions where I need to connect using IE. For example if I want to connect Windows Explorer to my company's OneDrive for business or to my client's SharePoint. Then I need to connect using IE, I tried using Edge and I am using Edge for all other browsing, but that doesn't work. Any ideas on how to fix that without IE? ...

I sometimes use IE, too. If you haven’t, you may enable it by a Cortana search of “Windows features”, then choose “Turn Windows features on or off”.

Does Chrome Browser work with SharePoint?

Plantje

I sometimes use IE, too. If you haven’t, you may enable it by a Cortana search of “Windows features”, then choose “Turn Windows features on or off”.

Does Chrome Browser work with SharePoint?
It's not that Edge doesn't work with SharePoint. I can go to the SharePoint sites using Edge just fine! Only thing is: if you hit the button in the ribbon to open that specific SharePoint site in Windows Explorer, that only works from Internet Explorer. And I think this is because in the background Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are very much the same; they just have a different interface. Edge on the other hand is completely different from Windows Explorer.
And when it comes to OneDrive for Business: that's SharePoint in the background as well, so the same issue.

Edit: Chrome etc. doesn't work either.
Why SharePoint ribbon buttons are unavailable
See this part:
Open in Explorer is grayed out
Open in Explorer is a super helpful feature, though under some conditions it doesn't work. The following are some specific problems and fixes.

For additional troubleshooting and requirements for Open with Explorer, see Copy or move library files by using Open with Explorer.

It's because it is using Active X components

Last edited:

William Israel

I had to reset the RT to factory settings because after in uninstalled the update the same problem was occurring. Once I reset, IE was functional again.
PC Settings
Update and recovery
Recovery
Remove everything and reinstall Windows

Make sure you back up essential files and links to apps before commencing!

beastman

This update caused the same issue for my father in laws tablet (not sure what model) - I uninstalled the update, thinking that MS would pull that update but no of course they didn't and it was updated again!
Is there a way to pause or stop updates on these devices?