What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

Lolvo

Just finished the upgrade, posting from my new 8.1 device!

Thanks for the post, Omni - while not extensively detailed, your directions were easy to follow, and the install took hardly any time at all.

Liking 8.1 so far. Where can I find a list of updated/new features that come with this OS?

aratnon

Does anyone suffer from draining battery life so fast? I leave my Surface and do nothing for 12 hours the battery reduce from 70% to 37% and I can't turn on the screen with the power button but the system is still running I can hear the sound. I have to turn it off and open again.

Lolvo

Does anyone suffer from draining battery life so fast? I leave my Surface and do nothing for 12 hours the battery reduce from 70% to 37% and I can't turn on the screen with the power button but the system is still running I can hear the sound. I have to turn it off and open again.

This is the first full day on 8.1; my device was fully charged this morning, and it is now at 55%. A little more drain than before.

mdfire

Ive installed on mine but run into a problem. Everything works until I try to put in my activation key and it says it didn't work? I was installing onto the 8.1 preview.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

mdfire

Ive installed on mine but run into a problem. Everything works until I try to put in my activation key and it says it didn't work? I was installing onto the 8.1 preview.

Edit after three attempts it accepted! all good -:)

OP
Omni

Omni

This is the first full day on 8.1; my device was fully charged this morning, and it is now at 55%. A little more drain than before.

I'm noticing a greater battery usage on standby than I had on 8.0. Can be quite a lot at times; other times not much. Turning flight mode on saves a lot but this is a problem Id like to see fixed.

make sure you have Bluetooth enabled. Apparently the 8.1 RTM did not get a fix for the bluetooth issue (somebody over at XDA noticed this). Oddly enough, when it's set to off it will drain your battery. If it's on it will be fine.

beman39

huh! well that's why I'm holding off on 8.1 till all the kinks are worked out, I'm positive MS is still working out the kinks till 8.1 is officially released on D day lol