What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

mdfire

No kinks observed here. 8.1 on RT.

Or here. I had 8.1 preview installed and it was very buggy with apps crashing all the time. Solid steady performance now. Havent used it enough to notice battery issue. One thing I did notice is that I cant download the surface forums app and it says its withdrawn from the store???

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
Omni

Omni

Can't say this is a big issue for me. The 'perks' are well worth the loss of some battery life.

RH5

Is there a 8.1 install for Surface Pro? My friend is selling me his 64GB Surface Pro for $450 which I think is pretty good :D

Is there a 8.1 install for Surface Pro? My friend is selling me his 64GB Surface Pro for $450 which I think is pretty good :D

yes, there is:
The Windows 8.1 (& related) Repository
if you are looking for English you should search for MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

looks under
~~~ English (EN-US) ~~~
I. Core/Pro
and find the magnet link for the Pro

btw. congrats to the great deal!! I'd love to have a friend who would do this to me too ;)

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Two questions for those of you who are running Win 8.1RT on your Surface...

1. Does 8.1RT improve in any way the battery life of the Surface? If yes, can you give an indication of the extent of the improvement?
2. Is the user-experience a bit faster on 8.1RT - by user experience, I mean simply do apps open and close a bit faster than before?

Essentially, therefore, I suppose I am asking whether 8.1RT is further optimized to exploit whatever is exploitable of the Surface RT hardware - in terms of battery life and performance.

Thanks in advance.

OP
Omni

Omni

For me battery life is not as good as it was mainly in standby. Ive started shutting down when I'm not going to use the surface for a long period. Hopefully this will be fixed after general release. Not everyone is having this issue though so you might be ok.

Performance is much improved. Everything is faster than it was in 8.0. You wont regret upgrading on the performance side.

kristalsoldier

For me battery life is not as good as it was mainly in standby. Ive started shutting down when I'm not going to use the surface for a long period. Hopefully this will be fixed after general release. Not everyone is having this issue though so you might be ok.

Performance is much improved. Everything is faster than it was in 8.0. You wont regret upgrading on the performance side.

Thanks. Good to know. I do hope there is at least a marginal improvement in battery life. If not then I may have to seriously reconsider my decision to hold off from buying the Surface 2 immediately. As such I would need about 8-9 hours, which is approximately what I get on the RT today.

OP
Omni

Omni

Thanks. Good to know. I do hope there is at least a marginal improvement in battery life. If not then I may have to seriously reconsider my decision to hold off from buying the Surface 2 immediately. As such I would need about 8-9 hours, which is approximately what I get on the RT today.

I wouldn't worry to much about the surface 2. 8.1 has been built for it so there shouldn't be any battery issues like I'm having. Hopefully there will be a firmware update on the 18th for the RT that fixes the battery problem.