What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

kristalsoldier

I wouldn't worry to much about the surface 2. 8.1 has been built for it so there shouldn't be any battery issues like I'm having. Hopefully there will be a firmware update on the 18th for the RT that fixes the battery problem.

No, I meant that if after getting the 8.1 update there is an degradation of the battery issue on the Surface RT, then I would have to think about buying the Surface2. As things stand, I am quite happy with how the Surface RT is behaving at the moment - though I am eagerly looking forward to the optimizations of 8.1 that I think will come with it. My plan was to buy the Surface 2 sometime around March-April next year. But if 8.1 degrades the battery of the original Surface, then I'd probably look to get the SUrface 2 in Nov. this year.

Edit: Is there any place where I can find a detailed review of 8.1RT which describes how this update is optimized for the Surface RT - both in terms of performance and battery life? Or, is it too early to look for such things?

Last edited:
OP
Omni

Omni

No, I meant that if after getting the 8.1 update there is an degradation of the battery issue on the Surface RT, then I would have to think about buying the Surface2. As things stand, I am quite happy with how the Surface RT is behaving at the moment - though I am eagerly looking forward to the optimizations of 8.1 that I think will come with it. My plan was to buy the Surface 2 sometime around March-April next year. But if 8.1 degrades the battery of the original Surface, then I'd probably look to get the SUrface 2 in Nov. this year.

Edit: Is there any place where I can find a detailed review of 8.1RT which describes how this update is optimized for the Surface RT - both in terms of performance and battery life? Or, is it too early to look for such things?

Ah I see what you mean. Hopefully that's not the case as I'm not getting a Surface 2 til next year at the earliest.

I'd imagine its to early yet. Ive not seen anything but most reviews will be at the surface 2 not the RT.

kristalsoldier

Ah I see what you mean. Hopefully that's not the case as I'm not getting a Surface 2 til next year at the earliest.

I'd imagine its to early yet. Ive not seen anything but most reviews will be at the surface 2 not the RT.

I hope so too! TBH, aside from the two-step kickstand (which I think MS in all its wisdom should have included in the first edition), and the Tegra4 (which, I guess, is a function of the evolution of chip tech), there is nothing like a must-have - at least in my perception - of the Surface 2 that warrants an immediate buy, which is also why I would be happy getting the Surface 2 in Spring next year. But, as I said, if there is a degradation of battery performance, then I have a real problem!

demandarin

MS said the battery life on Surface 2 was improved by 35% or so. So sirface2 will last even longer regardless. They talk about it on the event they had. If you haven't seen it, its on the Microsoft site or YouTube to watch.

All around surface 2 is way better than the original. Performance, battery life, etc...

kristalsoldier

MS said the battery life on Surface 2 was improved by 35% or so. So sirface2 will last even longer regardless. They talk about it on the event they had. If you haven't seen it, its on the Microsoft site or YouTube to watch.

All around surface 2 is way better than the original. Performance, battery life, etc...

Yes, I have seen that. And, yes, the Surface 2 does look like a brilliant machine from many respects, but I am trying to avoid buying it immediately having bought the first version only in March or April this year. Still, if the battery hit of 8.1 to the first version is significant - even say by 15-30 mins - then I'll have to reconsider.

demandarin

I understand. But let's say it does have a battery hit on the surface rt, that loss will be negated on the surface 2 because the surface 2 will pull better battery life than the RT1. Sirface2 comes with 8.1 installed and it'll still last longer than RT. Its rated at 10hours or so. The RT was rated at 8. Plus tegra4 is more efficient than tegra3 in rt. Its chip uses smaller die size. Smaller die size yet more powerful and power efficient.

kristalsoldier

You are right. I also remember having seen this somewhere in the past. But yeah...12 days to go and I am eagerly waiting to see what fate holds in store for me - will I continue with my current Surface, or will I have to buy the Surface 2!!!!!!

OP
Omni

Omni

Yes, I have seen that. And, yes, the Surface 2 does look like a brilliant machine from many respects, but I am trying to avoid buying it immediately having bought the first version only in March or April this year. Still, if the battery hit of 8.1 to the first version is significant - even say by 15-30 mins - then I'll have to reconsider.

15-30min is not a lot. Just buy one anyway, save on the worry ;) .

demandarin

You are right. I also remember having seen this somewhere in the past. But yeah...12 days to go and I am eagerly waiting to see what fate holds in store for me - will I continue with my current Surface, or will I have to buy the Surface 2!!!!!!

I get the feeling you're very satisfied with your current device but the improvements on newer model is tempting you. Like me..haha. A couple weeks ago I bought my woman a 64gb RT, manufacturer refurbished, for only $249. She loves it. IM impressed with its performance also. I also remembered the drain issue and made sure to leave Bluetooth on. It gets excellent battery life. Very impressed but I know the Surface 2 is a huge improvement all around. I was about to list reasons why but I think you've seen my other post before detailing it and you commented on it saying its enticing you to get new version..haha.

IM thinking about getting my lady the new one also. If I do, I'd just give away the RT we have now. I want a new pro and the newer Surface2...tech junkie..lol

11B1P

OK. This is how to install Windows RT 8.1 on the Surface RT.

1. Google 'DRIVERS FOR SURFACE RT ONLY___MICROSOFT WINDOWS RT 8 1 WITH OFFICE 2013 RT RTM WOA ENGLISH DVD-WZT' and use a torrent program to download.

2. While that's downloading you need to get your current Windows RT 8.0 product key from your RT. Go here ' Extract Windows RT product key without jailbreak or PC - xda-developers ' and create the .bat file. Easy copy and paste.

3. Create a Windows RT 8.0 recovery USB drive in case anything goes wrong. Type recovery from the Start screen. You will need at least a 4GB USB stick.

4. Run the .bat file and copy down your product key.

5. Once the download finishes copy it to your RT if its not already there and run the .iso file. This mounts it as a CD-ROM drive.

6. Run setup.exe and use the product key from the .txt file in the torrent. Your one doesn't work in the installation. Currently setup only gives you the option to keep files or not. Some have found success with editing a cfg file in the iso and Im not sure if that will work on the RT. Someone give it a go? I found a lot of settings did move over just using the keep files option. A clean install is always better in my option.

7. After that just wait for it to install. Doesn't take very long and once installed go to the activate screen and enter your own product key. It should activate no problem.

8. Install windows updates to get rid of the one device not installed in Device manager.

9. Download apps and enjoy 8.1.

Think Ive covered everything. Let me know if anything needs adding. :)

Google? Surely you meant Bing? :)