What's new

Instantly switch Taskbar orientation.

mitchellvii

Do you prefer to have your Taskbar on the left or right in landscape and on the bottom or top in portrait (to make more room for browsing)?

Here's a thread about a simple app that puts a button on your Taskbar to instantly change the Taskbar orientation. Just unzip the file then drag the .exe you want onto the Taskbar.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/56322-apps-tablet-pc.html

You'll get a warning message from Nanny MS about installing an unknown app. Just click "More Info" and "Install Anyway" if you want to. Proceed at your own risk.

This works, it's super fast and very convenient way to move a "locked" Taskbar. Here's a quick video demonstration:

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If you don't like the icon the developer uses, just send the app to your desktop as a shortcut, click "Properties" then change the icon there before dragging it onto your Taskbar. The icons you want to choose from will be located in %windir%\System32\imageres.dll.

daniielrp

I don't think many people move the taskbar. I know some people do, but in my experience most don't.

I've spent the last 4 years remotely connecting to people's PCs to fix them, and maybe saw a taskbar moved once, maybe twice.

olimjj

Am I missing something. I am aware it is not a one button solution and therefore not an instantly executed operation, but what is your complaint against right clicking on the taskbar going to properties-taskbar-taskbar location on screen, and choosing a position on the screen (right, left, bottom, top)?

ScottyS

Isn't it just as easy to click/drag or tap/drag the taskbar to the side? I guess if you lock the taskbar it then becomes a 2 step operation. Some of the other apps (such as Hover Icon) sounds cool (of coarse I could just click on a notepad icon rather than hover to open).

But migrating from a Dell laptop to SP1 and now SP3 times 2 (returned the first one) I'm thinking clean and basic is the best way to go. Otherwise I keep adding applets and before long the bloat takes over.

olimjj

Isn't it just as easy to click/drag or tap/drag the taskbar to the side?

If find that dragging can sometimes become somewhat problematic especially if you have a condensed multi level taskbar. Using the method I suggested works flawlessly.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Am I missing something. I am aware it is not a one button solution and therefore not an instantly executed operation, but what is your complaint against right clicking on the taskbar going to properties-taskbar-taskbar location on screen, and choosing a position on the screen (right, left, bottom, top)?

Um, it is a one button solution. Made that clear in the OP. You put the button on the taskbar and just click it to rotate. Simple as that. You probably read the wrong part where it is embedded in the system tray. That's not the one you want.

Here's how mine looks. I changed the icon because I didn't like the one it comes with. I just click the circled button and my locked taskbar rotates - one step:

OneButton.JPG

I use it because I like the taskbar on the side in landscape and the bottom in portrait. Also, if I am taking written notes I can quickly rotate it out of the way so my wrist doesn't hit it.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Isn't it just as easy to click/drag or tap/drag the taskbar to the side? I guess if you lock the taskbar it then becomes a 2 step operation. Some of the other apps (such as Hover Icon) sounds cool (of coarse I could just click on a notepad icon rather than hover to open).

But migrating from a Dell laptop to SP1 and now SP3 times 2 (returned the first one) I'm thinking clean and basic is the best way to go. Otherwise I keep adding applets and before long the bloat takes over.

Lol you are afraid of this tiny app starting a bloat storm? Seriously?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Um, I was referring to my solution.

OK . You can do that with mine albeit not as quickly.

Oops, sorry, misunderstood.

Yeah this is pretty quick. I'm uploading a video (if it ever finishes). Sometimes the simplest YouTubes process forever.