What's new

Instead of mouse and trackpad

Tsurugaya

I was thinking that it would be nice if I could use my Smartphone as a replacement for mouse or trackpad on the Surface, maybe even keyboard. It could connect either over WiFi or Bluetooth. I'm on Android, but am curious to know if something like that exists for iOS as well, that would be proof that it can be done.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On Windows Phone there is an App called PC Remote that does just that... it also available in the Windows Store. Its like Smart Glass for PCs...

surfdock

You can also try Mouse without Borders

Official Windows desktop app:Download Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders from Official Microsoft Download Center
Official Windows phone companion app: Mouse Without Borders | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

It doesn't do everything you want, but its a pretty cool tool and all Microsoft, so perhaps compat will be better than a 3rd-party tool?

If you have 2+ computers at your workstation and separate screens/keyboards for each system, mouse without borders will change your life. Only need one keyboard and mouse and no KVM any more :)

OP
T

Tsurugaya

Android, Android, Android!
It's right there in the opening post, it has to work on an Android phone. There are lots of remote apps, but they have too many functions. One screen trackpad, swipe screen get your standard keyboard you use on the phone. In portrait you can probably have trackpad and keyboard on same screen.

surfdock

Android, Android, Android!
It's right there in the opening post, it has to work on an Android phone. There are lots of remote apps, but they have too many functions. One screen trackpad, swipe screen get your standard keyboard you use on the phone. In portrait you can probably have trackpad and keyboard on same screen.

Hehe google play/android app store is sorely lacking in useful apps it seems :p
Better get a Windows phone. Nokia 520 with no contract was $59.99 at Fry's for a while...

OP
T

Tsurugaya

Ahh Nokia, yes they're big here on flip phones, very popular as phone is protected in trouser pocket when closed.