What's new

Insufficient storage, but 100+Gb free on Sd card??

Edbot

Help! I'm a newbie on this forum. The problem I have is I tried downloading Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 trial. In the options on my surface 4 I have clicked the option for everything to be stored on my memory card. A 200Gb card with 100+Gb free. Twice I have downloaded Photoshop and twice the surface has said "Insufficient storage space" .
Also I cannot see a file for the downloads in my memory card, should there be one?
I hope someone can help me here, I'm at a complete loss to know what to do, I cant think of anything.

MickeyLittle

Help! I'm a newbie on this forum. The problem I have is I tried downloading Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 trial. In the options on my surface 4 I have clicked the option for everything to be stored on my memory card. A 200Gb card with 100+Gb free. Twice I have downloaded Photoshop and twice the surface has said "Insufficient storage space" .
Also I cannot see a file for the downloads in my memory card, should there be one?
I hope someone can help me here, I'm at a complete loss to know what to do, I cant think of anything.

Hang in there and someone will be along to help you out. Since it's Memorial Day be patient as there may not be a lot of people hanging out on the forums today but I do believe that either today or tomorrow someone will be able to help you out with this.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome. Is the issue occuring during the attempt to downlaod it? From what I can gather, the options in settings will not change where the downloaded file will go. It looks like it simply changes the location of the documents, picture, music, and video folder, and apps from the app store. It would change where a browser is downloading files to, nor where these desktop applications are installed.

MickeyLittle

Come to think of it during the install process it should give you the option of where to install it. I wanted iTunes installed on my Micro SD card so I downloaded the setup file and then ran it and that was when I was able to choose a different location to install the program in.

So your drive C may be too full to even download the setup file and if that is the case then you need to uninstall something or move some data to your card so you can install Adobe to the card.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Click on Settings....System...Storage then select you C Drive and look at what is taking up your space (Potentially many Temp Files or previous versions of Windows)
upload_2017-5-29_6-13-33.png

OP
E

Edbot

Thanks for the useful advice. I have moved a lot of stuff from the C drive to the memory card. But the C drive keeps filling up just with normal activity without me downloading apps etc. I'm not sure its a good idea to delete the previous version of windows as jnjroach seems to suggest, but it is very tempting.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the useful advice. I have moved a lot of stuff from the C drive to the memory card. But the C drive keeps filling up just with normal activity without me downloading apps etc. I'm not sure its a good idea to delete the previous version of windows as jnjroach seems to suggest, but it is very tempting.

I delete that folder the moment I'm happy with the newer version of windows. I'm not going to sacrifice 20% of my available space on a folder that serves no purpose for me :)

I don't quite see how it can just keep filling up of nothing is being g put in it.

MickeyLittle

Open file folder and click on "This PC" It will show you how much storage you have on all your drives. Post a photo if you like as something seems out of whack and maybe someone will be able to help further.

Sketch (1).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually pretty safe, especially if you are satisfied with your current build.