What's new

Intel 4300u to 4200u?

khaozzer0

Hello
I Had my surface pro 2 replaced which had a 4300u Intel chip and revived a replacement today but device manager states its a 4200u. How much of a performance loss is there between both chipsets?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In practice there would have to be at least a 20% difference for a perceptible difference to be detected. My rule is there must be at least 30% improvement to even consider an upgrade (for upgradeable components) and that's marginal.

PassMark score for a 4200u is 3293 and for 4300u is 3733 for an 11.786% difference. The chips use the same Intel HD 4400 graphics with a 0.1 GHz clock rate difference.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/76308,75459 Differences highlighted.
There are a few management and virtualization technology differences your unlikely to ever use unless its part of a well managed enterprise or you do heavy virtualization.

jollywombat

As long as the device works without issues, I would not give it another thought between the 4200/4300. You will not see any difference for tasks really, benchmarks will be the only place where you will detect the difference and its slight. Enjoy the device :)

benjitek

It was difficult enough returning 3 >new< SP2's to get the newer chip, I can't imagine what it would be like attempting to get a replacement one. I'm hoping mine will chug along without need of replacement until the SP4 Pro's come out ;)

OP
K

khaozzer0

Thanks for the replies.

The replacement works fine it has better angle stylus detection than the one I returned, but my only concern is that I use VMware to run Linux for some college classes. The older chip is not as optimized for that task according to the chart. I am not sure why Microsoft does not check the cpu specs before sending them out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies.

The replacement works fine it has better angle stylus detection than the one I returned, but my only concern is that I use VMware to run Linux for some college classes. The older chip is not as optimized for that task according to the chart. I am not sure why Microsoft does not check the cpu specs before sending them out.
I don't think it will matter as it doesn't appear VM-W supports VT-d anyway. nor is there likely to be a noticeable difference running one or two VMs on an SSD.