What's new

Intel Core M - Lenovo Yoga Pro 3

InspectHerGadget

One important thing for me coming from a mac, track pad control! I have recently owned the yoga pro 2 and the sp3 at the same time. Without a doubt the sp3's track pad is smooth and precise. I also zoom a lot in internet explorer and zooming in IE on the yoga pro 2 is awful. I am not sure what Microsoft did to get precise control but it's the closest thing to mac track pad control I have found.
I was quite surprised how good the SP3 trackpad was. It is good enough to make a mouse optional rather than mandatory. I too use an MBA 11 on which, yes, the trackpad is a bit bigger and better. The difference though is not jarring so even moving one to the other the SP3 trackpad is still enjoyable to use.

Liam2349

Agree with you concerning the battery, but the idea of a projector is excellent. And if they push it, i.e. good resolution + battery life, it could become a major plus for a tablet. I mean, watching Breaking Bad again in my bed and displaying the movie on my ceiling would definitely charm me.

Concerning Android, the real problem is all the shit they put over it. Because if you take a clean Android, such as the one in every Nexus device, it's in my opinion the best OS for a mobile device.

Yeah, a projector is cool, but I'd personally rather buy a HD projector and save a lot of money. It would pretty much have to stay plugged in anyway.

I like Android - I have a Note 3. I just feel that after Surface, I wouldn't want something that's just a tablet.

One important thing for me coming from a mac, track pad control! I have recently owned the yoga pro 2 and the sp3 at the same time. Without a doubt the sp3's track pad is smooth and precise. I also zoom a lot in internet explorer and zooming in IE on the yoga pro 2 is awful. I am not sure what Microsoft did to get precise control but it's the closest thing to mac track pad control I have found.

I've never used a Yoga 2 Pro, but I assumed the trackpad would be good.

wynand32

I'm not a fan of machines that leave the keyboard exposed by default. I can choose to flip the Type Cover over and expose the keyboard in a pinch, but that's not the default with the SP3 and so acceptable. Seems to me, though, that no matter how it's engineered, there are just too many chances for damage or contamination of the keyboard--which for me is kind of vital to using a machine, given how much writing I do.

Nuspieds

I'm totally sold on a Windows tablet and by that I mean a device where a physical keyboard is optional.

If the device still comes with a hinged keyboard that folds all the way back or not, then it is still a laptop/ultrabook/whatever you want to call it--but it definitely is not for my use case.

TheCudder

I'm not a fan of machines that leave the keyboard exposed by default. I can choose to flip the Type Cover over and expose the keyboard in a pinch, but that's not the default with the SP3 and so acceptable. Seems to me, though, that no matter how it's engineered, there are just too many chances for damage or contamination of the keyboard--which for me is kind of vital to using a machine, given how much writing I do.

The pro's for me are complete laptop experience. Meaning the hint supports the screen and not a kickstand. Also the keys collapse and lock flush with the machine when its folded into tablet mode This is the only other machine I would consider.

The pro's for me are complete laptop experience. Meaning the hint supports the screen and not a kickstand. Also the keys collapse and lock flush with the machine when its folded into tablet mode This is the only other machine I would consider.

They collapse and lock flush with the ThinkPad yoga 14, not the yoga 3 pro.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They collapse and lock flush with the ThinkPad yoga 14, not the yoga 3 pro.
Lenovo appears to be taking the Samsung approach and carpet bombing the market with devices in every form factor. However they all still lack something, one has this the other that but no device with it all put together.

Lenovo appears to be taking the Samsung approach and carpet bombing the market with devices in every form factor. However they all still lack something, one has this the other that but no device with it all put together.

Agreed - further example being that the yoga 3 pro doesn't have a digitizer but the ThinkPad yoga does, while the Thinkpad yoga has an NVIDIA graphics card option while the 3 pro doesn't. Both fold back into tablets, yet the Thinkpad weighs 4+ pounds (5+ with the graphics card).

Combine these 2 somehow and I'd be interested, while as is, I'm interested in neither...

Actually... with Kelso being involved in their design, I'm no longer interested in Lenovo altogether...

OP
RémiM

RémiM

The thing I dont understand with this Samsung-like approach, is why they keep doing cheap devices in plastic when the benchmark is fully in metal (iPhone - iPad - Surface Pro 2-3). It took Samsung forever to get rid of the ugly stiches on the back of their cellphones, and even longer to build their first metal device. Lenovo seems to be exactly on the same path. They have a plastic device to go against a really well done and beautiful SP3. At the same price level.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I dont understand with this Samsung-like approach, is why they keep doing cheap devices in plastic when the benchmark is fully in metal (iPhone - iPad - Surface Pro 2-3). It took Samsung forever to get rid of the ugly stiches on the back of their cellphones, and even longer to build their first metal device. Lenovo seems to be exactly on the same path. They have a plastic device to go against a really well done and beautiful SP3. At the same price level.
Meh, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 too and the device it great. Plastic? So what, its solid. IMO the plastic knock is just a meme floated by Apply fans. I don't mean nuthin to me.

Edit: It don't mean nuthin...

Last edited:
OP
RémiM

RémiM

Meh, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 too and the device it great. Plastic? So what, its solid. IMO the plastic knock is just a meme floated by Apply fans. I don't mean nuthin to me.

Yup, I am not saying it's bad. I had a few Samsung devices and a few iPad. And the last iPad I had, the Air, was far away better in quality than my previous Samsung or Nexus.

I just think Samsung didn't put enough efforts during too long in what they do the best: the hardware.

phositadc

I actually prefer plastic. Lighter and generally just as durable. Also, often it's less slippery.

I'm sick of the obsession with "beautiful" devices and wish that obsession would change to "functional."