What's new

Intel has NOT begun shipping Broadwell. Damn that timing...

aer0

Intel did a conference call yesterday:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2454...ell-but-next-gen-skylake-chip-could-slip.html

They've started shipping Broadwell chips... damn it!
Broadwell was suppose to provide a significant performance boost in the integrated graphics :(
Not to mention performance boost in general processing power (the sexiness of 14nm)

Anyone even remotely believe that MS will put in broadwell chips to the SP3?
One can dream ;)

Seeing as it's rumored Apple will bugger out from putting Broadwell into any of their products pre-2015,
it would be a boon for MS if they could manage to push out a product with Broadwell before 2015 :cool:

IF there is even a remote chance, I'll hold off from upgrading to the i7 and wait till year end for Broadwell goodness :D

bkydcmpr

no way microsoft would update sp line with broadwell this year. one possibility is the refreshment to be announced around the time of windows 9 announcement and shipped at a point after windows 9 is released (between q2 and q3 2015).

ipaq_101

Why not just wait for the SP5 it will have a Skylake chip? There is always something new right around the corner, do what is best for you.

dstrauss

Agreed - there will always be a next better thing, and the SPro 3 will get the spec bump of Broadwell to glorify SPro 4 - just like there was an SPro 2. If you need one, and can really use one, get the SPro 3 that you need (i5 or i7) and don't look back.

benjitek

IF there is even a remote chance, I'll hold off from upgrading to the i7 and wait till year end for Broadwell goodness :D
I'd be surprised if they put a Broadwell inside a SP3 -- more likely would be a slightly updated Haswell, similar to what happened with the SP2. Broadwell is designed for fanless use, I'll bet the SP4 is already being designed with that in mind.

megatronium

Why not just wait for the SP5 it will have a Skylake chip? There is always something new right around the corner, do what is best for you.

This. Broadwell is "tock". Skylake is "tick". Broadwell will offer up to 40% GPU increase but CPU is just a die shrink of Haswell. CPU performance increase will likely be negligible.

Personally, I've waited long enough for the i7 SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also from the article.....

"Intel typically ships sample quantities of its chips to its hardware partners, then begins manufacturing them in large quantities for commercial production. That helps explain the jargon of earnings calls, when “shipping” can still mean months before customers can actually buy a PC."

So these are samples that are shipping, we will see some limited number devices during the Holiday Season....