What's new

"Intel HD display driver has stopped responding" error

Wallace

I purchased a 4Gb/128GB Surface 3 last week for my company to evaluate against the Surface 3 Pro I bought a few weeks ago. I am constantly getting display driver crashes every few minutes to the extent that it is unusable. I have already done a refresh and factory reset as advised by MS tech support and the problem remains. I haven't been able to find anything else online about this that specifically relates to the Surface 3. I have already begun the returns process for this but I would be interested if anyone has any ideas as to why this would be happening. I tried to install the driver from the Intel site but it said it was not compatible so that went nowhere. After doing the factory reset, a watermark appeared on the desktop that said "Build 9100" which was quite concerning.

As an aside, I found the customer service from MS was terrible in this instance. Initially they were going to exchange the unit until she mentioned that they could not guarantee that I would receive a brand new unit, which of course I questioned as there is no way that I should have received anything else. I asked if there was no way they could put a note on the system to indicate that it should be a brand new system, and was told no which I found appalling for a system that is only a few days old. So that is why I ended up just returning it and I will buy another, and hopefully this will be a brand new unit.

OP
W

Wallace

I received my new unit yesterday after sending the faulty unit back the day before and I noticed that there was a firmware update release yesterday. I guess this might have addressed the issue. Can anyone confirm this?