What's new

Intel Releases Updated Generic Drivers for Intel HD4000 Graphics, Fixes Bugs

sossqq

The latest update for driver that MS installed is dated 7/31 version 10.18.10.3262 in case someone wants to compare battery life and performance compared to latest Intel generic driver I just posted above.

Just edited to show correct version installed from 8.1, I rolled back then pressed search internet for latest update and it put me on 7/31 version. That's the MS latest one for our pro. I might compare the 2 to see how true what the engineer said holds.

With intel driver ..I felt massive performance increase in gaming when I go maximum power and all that.
But when I was watching 1080P youtube videos and I felt slight lag.

OP
D

demandarin

I have tried all of the steps suggested here and still getting error when trying to install new version.

Hmm. Ok

Go into control panel. Then system. Then system again. Then device manager on left side. Go to display adapter. Click on the HD4000. Now press driver. Then press update driver. On the pop up press browse my computer for driver software. Next pop up press let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer. Now this will list every graphic driver that's been installed. Find the may one there. If you don't see it then try one earlier than that. Then install it. After you install and restart, it should let you install the latest driver.

sossqq

Hmm. Ok

Go into control panel. Then system. Then system again. Then device manager on left side. Go to display adapter. Click on the HD4000. Now press driver. Then press update driver. On the pop up press browse my computer for driver software. Next pop up press let me pick from list of device drivers on my computer. Now this will list every graphic driver that's been installed. Find the may one there. If you don't see it then try one earlier than that. Then install it. After you install and restart, it should let you install the latest driver.

hey demandarin,

I installed the driver by using exe setup and it says on the device manager 10.18.10.3316
Is that the latest one? I have all graphic setting and all that but I am not sure if I am running the latest one.

OP
D

demandarin

With intel driver ..I felt massive performance increase in gaming when I go maximum power and all that.
But when I was watching 1080P youtube videos and I felt slight lag.

I'll definitely have to try this out with my steam games. I got crysis2 running good on my pro at 720p resolution. Hopefully new driver makes it run even better. I always game at maximum power. Even made a power profile with Intel XU utility to allow more power on turbo boost and for the boost to last longer.

OP
D

demandarin

hey demandarin,

I installed the driver by using exe setup and it says on the device manager 10.18.10.3316
Is that the latest one? I have all graphic setting and all that but I am not sure if I am running the latest one.

Yep..that's the newest generic one released by Intel for win 8.1 64bit. The date on it should be 10/17 or something similar.

ScottyS

I downloaded and extracted to zip file Win64_153117.zip from Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver for Windows 7* and Windows 8* 64. Running the Setup.exe I got a message saying that driver was not the right one for my computer and I should get the driver from my computer manufacturer.

I installed it by going to Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver in Device Manager, Update Driver, Browse my computer for diver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, then clicked Have disk and browsed to the Graphics folder and picked kit55787.cat and I tried it with kit55787.inf.

Both times the driver installed and I got the Intel Graphic Properties and Options on the context menu when I right click the desktop, but when I click them I get dialog box "GfxUIEx has stopped working". And Device manager says I have driver 9.18.10.3257 dated 7/29/2013.

The Readme.txt file says Driver Version: 15.31.17.64.3257 Release Date: August 2, 2013, but the Installation_Readme.txt says Intel(R) Graphics Driver: 9.18.10.3257.

What am I doing wrong???

olimjj

I downloaded and extracted to zip file Win64_153117.zip from Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver for Windows 7* and Windows 8* 64. Running the Setup.exe I got a message saying that driver was not the right one for my computer and I should get the driver from my computer manufacturer.

I installed it by going to Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver in Device Manager, Update Driver, Browse my computer for diver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, then clicked Have disk and browsed to the Graphics folder and picked kit55787.cat and I tried it with kit55787.inf.

Both times the driver installed and I got the Intel Graphic Properties and Options on the context menu when I right click the desktop, but when I click them I get dialog box "GfxUIEx has stopped working". And Device manager says I have driver 9.18.10.3257 dated 7/29/2013.

The Readme.txt file says Driver Version: 15.31.17.64.3257 Release Date: August 2, 2013, but the Installation_Readme.txt says Intel(R) Graphics Driver: 9.18.10.3257.

What am I doing wrong???

This might help
After you choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". make sure the "show the compatible hardware" box is checked. In this list see if you can locate the driver you want to install. This is the way I choose previous or past drivers. Otherwise go back to a driver that will allow you to install the driver you want.

sossqq

I'll definitely have to try this out with my steam games. I got crysis2 running good on my pro at 720p resolution. Hopefully new driver makes it run even better. I always game at maximum power. Even made a power profile with Intel XU utility to allow more power on turbo boost and for the boost to last longer.

Cool let us know if you see any massive change in gaming.
I am trying to figure out why it is causing lag when watching streaming videos.
I've formatted my pro just to make sure. I went back to window 8 but huge difference in streaming 1080p and 4k videos. They are really smooth and lifelike.
...makes me think should I even bother updating at all P

Try this in 4k resolution. For any reason if U need to reinstall windows try it then and see the difference
[video=youtube;bYP4wKD-6J8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYP4wKD-6J8[/video]

Last edited:

ScottyS

This might help
After you choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". make sure the "show the compatible hardware" box is checked. In this list see if you can locate the driver you want to install. This is the way I choose previous or past drivers. Otherwise go back to a driver that will allow you to install the driver you want.

Yes! That did it. I had the "show the compatible hardware" box checked, but used Browse to navigate to where I unzipped the Intel driver. I went back now and the 10.18.10.3316 driver dated 10/1/2013 was the top choice, and I picked it and it works now. Thanks!

OP
D

demandarin

Cool let us know if you see any massive change in gaming.
I am trying to figure out why it is causing lag when watching streaming videos.
I've formatted my pro just to make sure. I went back to window 8 but huge difference in streaming 1080p and 4k videos. They are really smooth and lifelike.
...makes me think should I even bother updating at all P

Try this in 4k resolution. For any reason if U need to reinstall windows try it then and see the difference
[video=youtube;bYP4wKD-6J8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYP4wKD-6J8[/video]

I watched this in its "original HD/4K" format here on the site and on the YouTube channel. My pro on its 8.1 update played it just fine. This is with MS own drivers, not the newest generic one I listed. Very cool video, I had to favorite it. I'll try on latest generic and update this post. The issue you saw might ne due to generic one not optimized for surface pro bus speed like the surface engineer had said. Who knows..lol

My main concern is affect on battery life and how much of a performance increase you get gaming wise.

Update: installed latest driver and restarted. I watched the video on YouTube from browser in its Original HD/4K format. It was flawless playing it. No slowdown or lag at all. Maybe even better performance than MS own custom drivers. Although that played fine also.

The lag or stuttering you may of had might of just been from WiFi speed fluctuation or something. Not sure as I have no issue playing video on latest driver.

I'm about to try out Crisis 2 on newest generic driver and see if I noticed an improvement. I haven't played it on MS own custom drivers since 8.1 update. But I do know how it performed prior to 8.1 update. Time to cut on high performance mode ;)

Last edited:
OP
D

demandarin

Just played a long session of crisis 2 on the latest generic driver. I definitely see an increase in performance as I'm able to bump the resolution up a notch or 2 and it'll still play fine. I leave all settings on high, cut motion blur off, vsync off, and DX11 Enabled.

I did notice after playing a long time I thought the game was crashing. It went to windowed mode from fullscreen out of nowhere. What was happening was that it said in was running out of memory aka RAM..lol some dropped the resolution down a notch and put it back on fullscreen and went back to playing.

I really like that game and the visuals are amazing. I see why this game sets the bar. I'm thinking about getting Batman Arkham city as its on sale now from steam dirt cheap. It is 17gb in size though..smh these games burning through my storage memory like crazy..lol