What's new

Intel Releases Updated Generic Drivers for Intel HD4000 Graphics, Fixes Bugs

mitchellvii

Ugh, I have tried every single suggestion given here. I still get an error when trying to install the latest driver from the .exe and I get Checksum errors from the .zip file. Simply will not work.

OP
D

demandarin

That's very weird. not sure what else you can try? will it at least let you roll back to a previous generic one with the HD control panel working? I think MS is trying or has figured a way to try to block us from installing these generic drivers. I remember we use to have no issue installing. now it seems like all the recent versions get blocked or workaround required to get it installed.

mitchellvii

Ok, victory finally. Redownloaded the .zip file and unpacked it using winrar. This time got no checksum errors. Then went back to Device Manager and rolled video driver back to "Microsoft Basic Display Driver". Once I had done that I searched for the unpacked driver and installed it. Went without a hitch.

mitchellvii

That's very weird. not sure what else you can try? will it at least let you roll back to a previous generic one with the HD control panel working? I think MS is trying or has figured a way to try to block us from installing these generic drivers. I remember we use to have no issue installing. now it seems like all the recent versions get blocked or workaround required to get it installed.

Microsoft doesn't like it's users having choices. Just like they won't let us set zoom on extended monitors separately from our SP's. Instead they force a poorly implemented DPI matching algorithm no one wanted, asked for or needs. Just give us some control MS. Geesh.

OP
D

demandarin

Ok, victory finally. Redownloaded the .zip file and unpacked it using winrar. This time got no checksum errors. Then went back to Device Manager and rolled video driver back to "Microsoft Basic Display Driver". Once I had done that I searched for the unpacked driver and installed it. Went without a hitch.

Glad to hear you got it resolved. Just like me, if I ever come across a PC issue, it irritates me to the point I'm determined to solve it. With these PC's, you become a natural trouble shooter. Unless you want to be like most and take it to a repair place for them to rape you on the costs..haha

Have you tried to watch that video also in 4k resolution to see how it plays for you?

mitchellvii

Ok, heads up. Latest update from MS changes the video driver BACK to the lame MS version. Check it and set it back if you want. C'mon MS, STOP over-riding my personal choices.

OP
D

demandarin

Don't forget you can go into windows update settings and change the automatic downloading and install of updates. I have mines set to notify me of new updates but let me choose whether to download and install. Haven't had an auto rollback issue since.

That way I choose what I want installed. Not them ;)

Danja91

When I first installed Windows 8.1, I really liked that the Start Menu was smaller than in the original Windows 8. I had four "wide"-sized icons stacked on top of each other. After installing these drivers (the latest version for 3rd generation Core & Intel 4000 graphics for Windows 8.1 64 bit), the start menu is back to its original size and only fits three stacked wide icons. These drivers fix the screen tearing that I was getting when scrolling in both web browsers and the start menu; however, I really enjoyed the smaller start menu. Is there any way to get it back?

OP
D

demandarin

Point of order. How does one watch a 4K video on a 1920x1080 screen without downrezzing?

I wondered about that also. To my knowledge, watching video from YouTube browser site, in original HD, would put it at the highest resolution it was recorded in. Now I don't know if the site actually detects your resolution and downrez it. I guess the more proper way to know for sure would be to use a program to rip or download that video in its original format then play it back. I know our device is easily capable of 4k playback.

it could be true the only way to view that 4k content is to have it hooked to a 4k tv then play it. I didn't compare the video quality of it compared to the 1080p version. good point though.

OP
D

demandarin

I did my own sort of battery test yesterday using the latest intel generic driver. Well for starters I the power profile I put it on was a custom one I made based on a website I seen. ive tested it before on win 8 and it works well. its far more aggressive than the power savings one built in. I call this profile I made Battery Max. I took my pro off the charger at 100% charge and put it on battery max profile. my brightness was on the lower side. you would normally think I would use the pro in a fashion to stretch out the battery life but I used it as I normally would with any other power profile. I really put it through the paces using IE11 in desktop. The whole entire time I had no less than 5-8 or more tabs open at once. then I had mail app and others running in the background. I also listened to music, through pro speakers, in the background using xbox music app. So I was doing tons of web surfing, watching videos, flipping back through mail app, and such while having music playing in the background. I believe having so many tabs open contributed to the most drain on the battery as more resources are being or more ram has to be used.

I will add I never experienced any slowdown or anything as this profile I created prevents the cpu from turbo boosting. most of the time its running at about 800mHz. still amazes me how doing everyday tasks take no performance hit although im running at much lower speeds. web pages still loaded up fast and videos still played just as well. no hit on multitasking at all.

I ran this way with heavy usage on my pro on my battery max profile until my battery hit 7% left. I ended up getting a lil over 5 hours of use. remember this is with the latest intel generic driver that's not optimized for pro like the MS custom one. Now ive pulled over 6 hours before on this profile but if I remember correctly, I never had as many tabs open. So im sure I could've pulled 6 hours or so if I wouldn't of had so many things running in background and not have so many tabs open at once in IE11.

after that I rolled my driver back to latest MS custom one. probably later today or so I will rerun my usage test to see how much better batterylife I get with MS own custom Intel driver. as an engineer had mentioned it contains optimizations specific to surface pro to optimize battery life and bus speed.

so I think my pro did pretty well considering the amount of tabs I had open up at once and the nonstop usage. this was with wifi and bt on. I will post results again on the latest MS custom drivers that comes with our latest update.