What's new

Intel XTU

edix

Good day all

I tried installing Intel's XTU again after not having it installed for 6 months or so to help with an issue I'm having. However whenever I try, and with all the versions I could find, to install the program it says "Attempted to install on an unsupported platform".
I remember having it installed and running circa August 2018 but now intel's official line is:

Why is Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility reporting an installation error?

I feel like Intel is gaslighting me. Has anyone else encountered this?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You are probably not being taunted. The Intel XTU is restricted on my Surface Book 2 15 inch also.

Annotation 2019-11-07 064605.png

OP
E

edix

Thanks,

Do you remember it ever working though? That's where I'm losing my marbles, and that older versions that I must of used at the time dont work now either.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I experimented with XTU on a Surface Pro 3 in 2017. Could be that heat or other damage risk to mostly fanless, miniaturized Surface devices was too high, and is now blocked.

Jakob Hviid

ETU seems to work as intended on my SB2 and able to reach over 4k in Geek5 with ETU UV -0.1v
https://i.imgur.com/7nMwvaX.png
but you need specific build, otherwise, you will get the above error-code.

Was pleasantly surprised to see my low'end fanless SB2 top Geek4 on all the top 8 ranking multicore-scores and amongst one's like the 15" with tablet-fans and way more ram.. same with Geek5 and reaching 1700 in Cine20 and 750 in Cine15. surface book 2 - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser
Didnt expected those values from a 7½mm thin passive/fanless tablet from 2017.

'so downloaded a fresh ETU version to see how the system then would handle under-voltage, but that also stated that error when installing, then took an old hard drive from a year or two ago where I recall I had an old revision of Intel ETU and tried with that, and it worked.

'It is only a few days ago.
If you still can't get it to work' and need that specific build-info or an upload of it, just state it, then I will check the drive again.
My Device.
SBOOK2 i7 GTX1050 13.5 / PORSCHE BOOK i7 16GB 512GB (pictureslide)

Last edited: