What's new

Interesting news regarding w10 and RT devices

kojack

Microsoft is developing an w10 OS for Arm based processors. Going to be interesting to say the least. I hope they put in universal app support. That will be a great feature for the RT surfaces to be able to run. Hopfully, this will be out in the next 6 months. I have two RT based devices and would love to have a full windows 10 experience on them...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: A desktop version of Windows 10 for ARM-based chips may be in development

Well ya know Apple's new ARM processors are desktop class and other vendors SoCs are right there with them. It remains to be seen if Intel will match them with an Atom SoC so far not yet.

Whether x86 Desktop is emulated or not at least having it open to other Programs recompiled for ARM would be enough. If Office could run on ARM most programs could be compiled for ARM and the previously closed to outside developers position was the dagger in the heart of Windows RT. However, it might open the possibility of ARM based malware although there are steps they could take to mitigate it any restrictions will be met with displeasure. Allowing full unrestricted x86 would be a double edged sword and especially popular with malware providers.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the better solution to running x86 on ARM would be binary translation in the cloud and just installing and running the pre-translated code. You upload an X86 program and it gets translated then downloaded and installed.

drkoz

Microsoft is developing an w10 OS for Arm based processors. Going to be interesting to say the least. I hope they put in universal app support. That will be a great feature for the RT surfaces to be able to run. Hopfully, this will be out in the next 6 months. I have two RT based devices and would love to have a full windows 10 experience on them...
I agree. If they can it would be great. I'm sticking with my Rt till the end.
It is a great tablet, computer and TV input.
May have been a failure for Microsoft but not for me.