What's new

Intermittent dead pen

BobG

My pen will stop working from time to time. At worst, I have to remove and re-insert the AAAA battery. Has anyone else experienced this?

Maybe it's time to ask Microsoft for a replacement pen?

Bob Graham

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I have had this once where I had to remove and reinsert battery, but it works perfectly most of the time.

ruinah

I had a slightly different issue. The end of my pen has some small shaving of plastic that doesn't give me a good point. Is that something MS would replace? I suppose I could use a file to shave that little piece off but I am afraid it would do more harm than good. It's not big just annoying.

OP
B

BobG

Hah, LOL, I just used the file in my swiss army knife to try to smooth the "hairy" tip. Just made it worse. I think something around a 600 grit would be necessary, it's very soft material.

malberttoo

My pen will stop working from time to time. At worst, I have to remove and re-insert the AAAA battery. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bob Graham

If you have to do it often, I would ask for a new one. Also Microsoft will provide new Pen tips to you upon request, free of charge I believe.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bob Graham

Just email MS. Last time I saw a thread about this kind of issue they just sent out a new one and said keep the old.

JimB

Same issue intermittently. Try to hit the top to bring up one note, then exit by swiping down. Seems to 'wake' the pen back up.

OP
B

BobG

I tried removing and re-inserting the nib. It has a better feel now and hasn't misbehaved since. I'll report back in a day or two.

Bob

OP
B

BobG

Well, after my previous post it worked flawlessly until today (13 days), when it started acting up again. First time I restarted the tablet, second time I had to remove and re-insert the battery to get it working again. I refuse to believe that Microsoft is sending us ten year old batteries, mine is dated to 2018, if I'm reading the battery label correctly. I guess I'll call Microsoft and ask for a new pen.

Just posting update to add to the community knowledge base.

Bob

bluegrass

To check a battery correctly, you really should use a battery tester which puts a slight load on it during the test. You can get a false positive reading with a voltmeter without having a load on the battery.