What's new

Intermittent Wireless - Get It Together Microsoft

hypokondriak

So this is my third attempt at 8.1 and second Surface Pro using it because my other just got replaced 3 weeks ago due to dying pixels. I installed the RTM off TechNet yesterday, and still have that intermittent wireless problem. It has happened 3 times now in less than 24 hours. Are you kidding me? How on earth are we this far into 8.1 and they still don't have their flagship $1k tablet's network card working with their own OS?

Sorry to rant, but this problem is annoying and the fact that they still haven't fixed it is even more annoying. Be better than this Microsoft.

pierre118

So this is my third attempt at 8.1 and second Surface Pro using it because my other just got replaced 3 weeks ago due to dying pixels. I installed the RTM off TechNet yesterday, and still have that intermittent wireless problem. It has happened 3 times now in less than 24 hours. Are you kidding me? How on earth are we this far into 8.1 and they still don't have their flagship $1k tablet's network card working with their own OS?

Sorry to rant, but this problem is annoying and the fact that they still haven't fixed it is even more annoying. Be better than this Microsoft.

Already tried this driver? : Download Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller Driver 14.69.24040.136 for Windows 8 64 bit

JohnF

I installed 8.1 and don't see any wireless problems. Then again I've never seen the issues on 8.0 that others have had. No complaints here.

Ruffles

It's working for most people so maybe there is something different about your network. Is it ALL networks? Is it only on certain bands? What type of encryption etc.? We need more info to help.

machistmo

It's working for most people so maybe there is something different about your network. Is it ALL networks? Is it only on certain bands? What type of encryption etc.? We need more info to help.

Here we ago again with you starting out insulting people asking for help. Seriously man. Maybe the Surface Wifi sucks? It sucked for me on mine, it was a major factor in my decision to drop the turd back in MS's lap. I remain eternally grateful that I was able to return my tablet for a full refund..

Perfect example of bad? Ok. Surface on WIFI about 50 linear feet from the router, DL iTunes took about 8 minutes. Machine on-the-wire took 32 seconds and was able to literally start the download on the Surface, walk to get coffee, then back and then upstairs into my office and search for and get iTunes, put it on a USB stick and walk back downstairs, install the freaking program on the Surface all before its DL of ITunes completed.

So I am going out-on-a-limb here (NOT) the WIFI on the SP SUCKS. Or did when I owned it, half of the Fanbois here even admit it sucks and just talking about the new driver and hoping that it has solved many of their issues.

pierre118

I have a SP with Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and since the new Marvell Avastar driver I don't have any wireless problems anymore. Very stable.

slvrdrgn123

Here we ago again with you starting out insulting people asking for help. Seriously man. Maybe the Surface Wifi sucks? It sucked for me on mine, it was a major factor in my decision to drop the turd back in MS's lap. I remain eternally grateful that I was able to return my tablet for a full refund..

Perfect example of bad? Ok. Surface on WIFI about 50 linear feet from the router, DL iTunes took about 8 minutes. Machine on-the-wire took 32 seconds and was able to literally start the download on the Surface, walk to get coffee, then back and then upstairs into my office and search for and get iTunes, put it on a USB stick and walk back downstairs, install the freaking program on the Surface all before its DL of ITunes completed.

So I am going out-on-a-limb here (NOT) the WIFI on the SP SUCKS. Or did when I owned it, half of the Fanbois here even admit it sucks and just talking about the new driver and hoping that it has solved many of their issues.
Lol. I don't see how he was insulting anyone. He only asked for more information so we can help fix the problem. What he said is true, it's not happening to most people; I've gone through 3 SP already that were replaced for various problems, but none had any wifi issues. If you don't like it then that's fine, but you don't need to go to every thread bitching and making it seem like it's worse than other products out there. At first it was interesting to see a few complaints so I can compare with my own experience, but now it's just annoying since there's an overblown complaint about everything.

rstrube

I can report that I was initially having wireless problems on the 5GHz band. I'm running a Buffalo router with DDWRT installed.

I tweaked the wireless settings of my router, and through trial and error was able to find some settings that were more stable. I ultimately needed to change disable 40MHz wide channels for my 5GHz band, switching it to 20MHz wide channels.

The 2.4 GHz band defaults to 20MHz and is waaaaay more crowded so 40MHz is completely unfeasible unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

I hope this helps.

Rob

Zorbis

I had issues with 8.1 build drivers using GoGo Wireless APs aboard Delta Domestic US Flights and Verizon's MiFi 4620L Version 3.20.16.

Installing 14.69.24040.136 was able to resolve the network issues for my adapter.

mtalinm

I'll agree the SP is much more finicky than other devices I've use. Just this moning it wouldn't connect o my pone hotspot until I rebooted the surface. Yuck

apoc_reg

I rolled back to windows 8 due to the intermittent wireless in 8.1, spent hours trying to solve it and face up.

Very sad to hear its in RTM??!!!