What's new

Internal vs. memory card storage

adamnmurad

Hello,

I know the Surface has expandable storage via a memory card. My question is, is there anything you can use the internal storage for that you can't use the memory card for? If not, I plan to buy the cheaper model and just compensate for the smaller amount of memory by throwing a 64gb card in there, but I'll spring for the larger model if the memory card is somehow not as useful or versatile as the onboard storage.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out!

scharp

As long as you're not doing any hard drive intensive tasks on the card like file compression/decompression, screen captures, video processing, running a lot of programs simultaneously off of the card or any task that requires constant writing to the card, then you should be fine. I have some of my steam games (Civ V, CS:Source, Xcom) running off the card and haven't seen any noticeable differences. Just make sure you get a card with the fastest write speed. For 64gb, the fastest I've come across is the Samsung with a 20 MB/s write speed. Also, some programs won't give you the option to change the installation drive but you can transfer over to the card and then create a symbolic link in those cases.

I still recommend the 128GB model as you're only save $40 or so if you are planning to pick up a 64gb microsd card as well. Those 30 or so GB of free space on the 64gb model can disappear pretty quickly.

machistmo

You cannot use the memory card to access Music, Pictures or Videos from Metro Applications or install Metro Applications to the Memory Card without first "hacking" a little.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/surface-tip-microsd-content-libraries-metro-apps-144658

This may be resolved with the 8.1 but that's like a September release time frame.

I have the 128 and with Office and other productivity tools installed I have about 70GB storage free. That's breathing room that makes me feel good. I would highly suggest getting the 128GB. I have a 64GB card installed and it forces me to 'choose' what music I keep there. The SD card is not AT ALL an SSD equivalent in performance either.

Just one opinion and its your money. I would be curious to hear what you finally decided and why.... Happy Surfacing!

Last edited:

The Toy Man

One of my applications would not allow me to access files on the card (Surface Pro).

I had to reformat the card to NTFS and create a symbolic link to it before the app would allow file to be written/read from it.

machistmo

Not true. I can open from the Video, Photos, and Music apps content from USB flash, USB disk, and even from NAS.

I was talking about the SD CARD which is what the OP asked about. Are people actually reading or skimming and knee-jerk responding?

OP
A

adamnmurad

Thank you all for your feedback! It is sounding like it's probably better to spring for the beefier model, given that skimping on this only saves you a few bucks when you're already making a substantial investment. Kind of like spending big money on a car but then skimping on the tires.

One related question, though: does Skydrive actually provide you with *extra* space on the Surface? If so, this would be different that I've seen other cloud storage services (I'm thinking Dropbox) behave on desktop computers. There, the files still take up space on every computer, but they're just being constantly synced. However, from what I've seen, it sounds like Microsoft pitches SkyDrive as an opportunity to *expand* your storage and not just provide for syncing. (Of course, I know under this scenario you would need an active internet connection to access your stuff, and you can probably only store files and not install programs to SkyDrive.)

Thanks again for all your help!

Muhamm

I have some of my steam games (Civ V, CS:Source, Xcom) running off the card and haven't seen any noticeable differences. Just make sure you get a card with the fastest write speed. For 64gb, the fastest I've come across is the Samsung with a 20 MB/s write speed dvd stores. Also, some programs won't give you the option to change the installation drive but you can transfer over to the card and then create a symbolic link in those cases.Recommend The New Normal Season 1 DVD , a very good-looking DVD!

ArnoldC

I was talking about the SD CARD which is what the OP asked about. Are people actually reading or skimming and knee-jerk responding?

Even if I did not mention the SD CARD it can be accessed by Music, Photos, and Video apps without having to resort to symbolic links, mounted volumes, and VHD. So your assumption about me "actually reading or skimming and knee-jerk responding" is baseless. Pathetic, lame alibi.

Last edited:

pallentx

Yes, you can access any files on an SD card. What doesn't work without the hack is getting apps that use you libraries to see them. You can drop music on your SD, but when you open Xbox music, you wont see those songs without doing the hack. Last I heard, the pictures app still wont see the pictures in your library even with the hack, but that may have been fixed now. Internal storage will probably be faster as well. I'm getting by fine with my Surface RT 32, but I'm starting wish I had just bought the 64GB.

TeknoBlast

I used the process to mount the SD card has a virtual drive and set up the indexing. It worked great and all. However, I did undo the process and only using the libraries look at the local drives. Now I use the SD card as a holding area. When I have movies on the local drive and I've completed watch the film/show, I usually delete them. Then I'll move some media files from the SD to local drive. I have the 64GB model, so I'm not too worried about space.