What's new

internet exploer issue on surface 2

smitty403

I am new to the forum I just bought the surface 2 on Sunday. I bout the device for my wife to use for school since the ipad lacked some features for productivity. The first time she tried to access one of her online classes thru the webstudy website, I got a message stateing that I needed to update internet explorer or use firefox or safari. She has no issue accessing the site from our Ipad or computer. When I click continue without updating nothing happens. I do not have a option to update explorer when I try to access the site the only button I have is to continue. . I tried to download firefox with no success. Can anyone walk me thru what I need to do? I can access other sites like the school website and CNN.

joeka

Have you tried accessing the website from Internet Explorer in "desktop mode" (rather than Metro)? That might be worth a try. I have found some websites do not work or just don't render correctly in IE Metro, but are fine on IE in desktop mode.

The message telling you that you need to update Internet Explorer or use a different browser will be a message from the actual website. It might be a bug with their "browser check" coding and it is incorrectly seeing your version of Internet Explorer as an old version... So, perhaps, also worth contacting the website owners as they may not be aware of this issue.

Unfortunately you can't install any third-party browsers on the Surface 2 - or more specifically on Windows RT at this time. I know there is a version of Firefox for Metro coming very soon, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure when.

EMINENT

I am new to the forum I just bought the surface 2 on Sunday. I bout the device for my wife to use for school since the ipad lacked some features for productivity. The first time she tried to access one of her online classes thru the webstudy website, I got a message stateing that I needed to update internet explorer or use firefox or safari. She has no issue accessing the site from our Ipad or computer. When I click continue without updating nothing happens. I do not have a option to update explorer when I try to access the site the only button I have is to continue. . I tried to download firefox with no success. Can anyone walk me thru what I need to do? I can access other sites like the school website and CNN.

Welcome to the forum!

What is the site? I can try it out.

kristalsoldier

Not on the Surface 2, I don't think.

And since we are talking about browsers - while not meaning to hi-jack the OP's question - does engaging the compatibility setting for a specific site on the desktop version of IE automatically apply those settings to the Modern UI version of IE for the same site? This is specifically about the Surface 2 though I guess the same would apply in the case of the Pro.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not on the Surface 2, I don't think.

And since we are talking about browsers - while not meaning to hi-jack the OP's question - does engaging the compatibility setting for a specific site on the desktop version of IE automatically apply those settings to the Modern UI version of IE for the same site? This is specifically about the Surface 2 though I guess the same would apply in the case of the Pro.

Yes, if you put it into Compatibility on the desktop those settings are enforced on the Modern UI version as well (If M-IE is open, close it fully and re-launch)