What's new

Internet Explorer 11 (Tips, Comments and Questions)

bulls96

Feedback from the 8.1 Preview

- I trained myself already to swipe from the top to open tabs and have to learn a completely different way of looking at my tabs, its less intuitive I think (not sure if that is true for everyone using the touch version of IE for the first time

-how do you turn your default view when u try to open a new tab or new window your favorites/pinned sites rather than the most frequently visited site (like what IE 10 did)

- for incompatible sites or if you have sites that are not behaving like they used to, go to the desktiop IE11, press Alt - Tools - Compatibility View settings and enter the site you are having trouble with

-how do you make the full desktop site default for websites who have mobile websites available?
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

tonyz3

Doe anyone know how to set metro IE11 to automatically close tabs out completely when you exit. It seems everytime I open it I have a bunch of tabs open...yikes EDIT: lookslike I might have figured it out in DT IE int options , advanced, scroll down to security- check close temp internet folders.... This seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:

ArnoldC

Doe anyone know how to set metro IE11 to automatically close tabs out completely when you exit. It seems everytime I open it I have a bunch of tabs open...yikes EDIT: lookslike I might have figured it out in DT IE int options , advanced, scroll down to security- check close temp internet folders.... This seems to have done the trick.

There are now two ways of "closing" an app in Windows 8.1. We still have the usual way which is drag the app to the bottom. However, the behavior is now different, i.e., it doesn't actually close, but just suspend. You can still see it from the Task Manager. If you want to close the application, drag it to the bottom but not out of the screen, hold it for a while until it 'flips.' This is when it is closed, or tombstoned.

Bring your IE settings to the default again and please try what I said, you'll be amused.

tonyz3

th.jpg
There are now two ways of "closing" an app in Windows 8.1. We still have the usual way which is drag the app to the bottom. However, the behavior is now different, i.e., it doesn't actually close, but just suspend. You can still see it from the Task Manager. If you want to close the application, drag it to the bottom but not out of the screen, hold it for a while until it 'flips.' This is when it is closed, or tombstoned.

Bring your IE settings to the default again and please try what I said, you'll be amused.
I was just getting ready to edit my post to saw that my method doesnot work... but say this and tried it and all i can say is MONEY!!!

Last edited:

cauzion

I confess I didn't like IE11. The way IE10 works with TAB (from top and not botton) is better. Look some other Windows RT 8.1 Preview Issues I found. If you have any consideration about them, please, reply.

My problems with Windows 8.1 RT Preview

1) Error on IE11 (Error: possible error with .gwt.xml module file...) - many sites return this error, but I can keep using after clicking OK. Sites like BlogSpot.com also mentions features that could not work with the browser (but couldn't find any in fact)
2) Windows + S screen clipping (feature from OneNote) now opens the Search Charm. Don't know not which key is used for OneNote Clipping
3) Couldn't find how to synchronize with Outlook RT with Live.com/Outlook.com/Exchange so I can have all appointments, contacts and tasks sync with other devices/computers
4) Some apps are not behaving like before. Some minor screen weird behavior, some apps are slower now, OneNote copy and paste from one note to another sometimes is very slow
5) When I check manually Apps Update, it always bring the Windows 8.1 new apps to be installed as it was not installed before...it happens also with some other 3rd party apps

Please, Check my Surface RT Review Blog with some REAL REVIEW on Surface Rr and Windows RT after using it for 7 months, 7 hours/day. http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com

mitchellvii

One thing I noticed this morning. In Modern IE 11, there is no way to sort bookmarks in folders alphabetically. You have to go back to Desktop IE to do that. If MS is trying to sell us on residing in the Modern Ecosytem, why do they keep leaving out features which force us back to Desktop to get things done? Does MS even have a Usability Department that tests these things? I mean, c'mon, sorting bookmarks isn't cold fusion guys.

Last edited:

compnovo

Thanks for this, the new IE11 behavior had me doing some serious head-scratching.

Ruffles

One thing I really like about IE 11 is how fast it reloads the previous page when you swipe to go back. With IE 10, you could see the previous page right where you clicked your link but it was disabled. It would then jump to the top and wait for a couple of seconds before scrolling back down to where you were. I'm just playing with the preview in a VM so I'm sure when it's RTM'd and I'm running it natively on my Surface Pro it will be even faster.