What's new

iPad Pro 12.9" with separate keyboard and pencil (stylus) Who's getting one

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
RAM is 4GB according to a report by Adobe. The Air 2 only has 2GB.
Id think 4GB is a necessary requirement for any "Pro" device nowadays.

That may be tight if you're going to edit three 4k streams simultaneously as they claim... of course often claims like these fall into the category of... you might do it but wouldn't in any practical use case.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apple Pencil - Big, shiny, slick, white plastic stick with rechargeable 12 hour battery.
Have you charged your pencil today? and your watch, and your phone, and your tablet and utility belt ... :D
iPad-Pro.jpg

I'm feeling a bit drained from all the charging I need to do. :D

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it strike anyone else odd that Apple didn't switch from a lightning port to a Thunderbolt 3/USB-C port on the iPad Pro? It would have meant faster charging, faster data transfers and greater compatibility in the long run.

Possibly holding back all of their new toys for the iphone 7/air 3 round of devices. Keep everything unified for now. You know how apple work, release a lacking version now, then release the 2.0 version 6 months later with a change here and there.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possibly holding back all of their new toys for the iphone 7/air 3 round of devices. Keep everything unified for now. You know how apple work, release a lacking version now, then release the 2.0 version 6 months later with a change here and there.
My sentiment exactly on the ATV announcement... it just brings it up to common standards bit avoids the emerging tech... pay me now, pay me again later. That's how they amass such a large bank account.

I bet they wouldn't even miss it if someone hacked in and took a million or two. It wouldn't even amount to a rounding error.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Preliminary performance benchmarks of A9, A9x and other ARM SoCs
Rumor: Apple's upcoming A9-series chips benchmarked, show 20-30% jump over A8
Apple's A9 chimes in with a single-core score of 2090 and a multi-core tally of 3569, compared to the respective averages of 1611 and 2892 shown by the A8 found in the iPhone 6 series.

The A9X chalks up 2109 and 5101 in the same benchmarks, compared to 1808 and 4526 for the iPad Air 2's A8X.

Note:
1. These numbers vary but are in the 1.8x range over last years A8/A8X.
2. Also the ratio of multicore to singlecore performance is nearly identical which means its the same 3 core architecture with abysmal multicore performance inefficiencies.

Samsung's Exynos 7420 — which powers the flagship S6, S6 Edge, Note 5, and S6 Edge+ — bests Apple's A9 on multi-core workloads with a score of 5048, but falls behind on single-core tasks by posting a 1486. Huawei's Kirin 950 and LG's Nuclun 2 also beat out Samsung's entry.

The graph — the authenticity of which cannot be determined — comes from Weibo via GforGames.

image-68404--105988.jpg

While this currently places A9/A9X ahead of Atom X7 it in no way challenges a Core-M or Core-i. Apple will be hard pressed to prove their better than 80% of Mobile PC's claim unless they restrict it to Atom, Pentium, Celeron powered PCs only.

Tsurugaya

Never gonna happen, Apple have always been clear that iOS is for touch, OS X is for classic k/b and mouse.

Personally I find having two complimentary devices works better than one that tries be be all and ends up being 'meh' at both.
You're probably right but since the Pro does support both keyboard and pencil (mouse alternative) they probably could do it if they wanted to. They also said they'd never do a stylus.

jrioux

From now (iOS 9) as far as I can tell. Still limited to apps that support it (the attach button still has no file access as such, but it can look through iCloud drive, Google Drive, OneDrive etc).
So they PROMISE to be able to do it soon, maybe, but we'll have to wait and see...

daniielrp

You're probably right but since the Pro does support both keyboard and pencil (mouse alternative) they probably could do it if they wanted to. They also said they'd never do a stylus.

Yeh haha first thing I did was find Steve Jobs quote from 2010 "if it has a stylus they failed already".

We'll see if Tim can prove Steve wrong.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read a nice unbiased article
Spec showdown: iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro 3
:D
"More over, at the same price point, the iPad Pro is a serious challenger to the long-suffering Surface line" - you mean that surface line that became the SP3 which has now set the benchmark for 2-in-1's and professional level productivity tablets.

The video is amusing as well (RE keyboard) "a few special features with the keys, you can actually do ..command tab" - WOW! really piling on the latest features..

The battery life still amuses me. A super optimised OS that does nothing, and only 10 hours of web browsing? I say this compared to what many have obtained on the SP3 when just doing light tasks. On 8.1 i could hit 9 hours easily.

It's actually a shame. I was hoping for something that would creat good competition, not this cop out. No doubt i'll see some of these at uni next year, but man, I would at least like to have a good debate with an owner, Apple made it far too easy. I love @GreyFox7 comment about all the charging, 12 hours for the pen, wow..

The more i read up on this thing, the more hillarious this whole thing becomes. I'd love to go find the posts were we were all making predictions on what the pro might be and how utterly wrong we all were.