What's new

iPad Pro 12.9" with separate keyboard and pencil (stylus) Who's getting one

leeshor

imho they missed several opportunities. A few changes might have made for a for some additional converts but the extra couple bucks would have cut into their profit. Lack of a microSD card seems to me like a huge mistake for a device considered to be a production system.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just read a nice unbiased article
Spec showdown: iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro 3
:D
"More over, at the same price point, the iPad Pro is a serious challenger to the long-suffering Surface line" - you mean that surface line that became the SP3 which has now set the benchmark for 2-in-1's and professional level productivity tablets.

The video is amusing as well (RE keyboard) "a few special features with the keys, you can actually do ..command tab" - WOW! really piling on the latest features..

The battery life still amuses me. A super optimised OS that does nothing, and only 10 hours of web browsing? I say this compared to what many have obtained on the SP3 when just doing light tasks. On 8.1 i could hit 9 hours easily.

It's actually a shame. I was hoping for something that would creat good competition, not this cop out. No doubt i'll see some of these at uni next year, but man, I would at least like to have a good debate with an owner, Apple made it far too easy. I love @GreyFox7 comment about all the charging, 12 hours for the pen, wow..

The more i read up on this thing, the more hillarious this whole thing becomes. I'd love to go find the posts were we were all making predictions on what the pro might be and how utterly wrong we all were.
What's sad is analysts are so easily duped by marketing claims. Let me go on record now as saying the A9X will not out perform a Core-M and will therefore also not outperform a Core-i. I am confident this will be borne out when the Anandtech reviews hit in December.

Thickness: ".2 in difference" lets check his math... .36 - .27 = .09 in oops he's only off by .11 >100% error.
Lets break it down some more... SP3 = 9.144 mm iPP = 6.858 mm for a difference of 2.286 mm rounded to 2.3mm. I submit the SP3 is 1.1 mm thicker because of the kickstand. 2.3mm - 1.1mm = 1.2mm.
Now 12.9" - 12.1" = .8" with that extra space I submit the SP3 could easily lose 1.2mm in thickness.
I don't really think MS squeezed it down as much as they could have... regardless it's not a big difference and less than .1 in.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
imho they missed several opportunities. A few changes might have made for a for some additional converts but the extra couple bucks would have cut into their profit. Lack of a microSD card seems to me like a huge mistake for a device considered to be a production system.
They could add a micro SD card but it would be limited functionality since the OS doesn't have the necessary functionality to fully utilize it. This is where iOS falls short and the core architecture of iOS leaves a number of deficiencies that aren't so easily rectified. Things that are left to APPs today need to move into the OS meaning the vast library of APPs would be broken and need to be rewritten.

Scaling iOS up to desktop class will be much harder than scaling up the hardware to desktop class which it still isn't but getting closer.

leeshor

Great points. I guess the bottom line is that an SD card or even a USB port or other external storage option is pretty much useless for the iPad, which makes a big and important point. (now I'll keep my mouth shut on that).;)

Clovismod

The iPadPro sales Will follow the same model the whole IPad Line is suffering: an initial rise then a steady décline. The IpadPro is just an IpadPlus. At First, Tablets were seen as PC replacements and they delivered larger screens than the tiny phones of the time;

Today, phablets and large phones are anywhere. In the same time, hybrid PC have proved they could be credible tablets.

Pure tablets aren't needed anymore. Wht's needed is both a phablet and an hybrid PC. ios iPadPro can't replace a PC or a Mac, for obvious limitations in OS and ports. As a tablet, IpadPro is too heavy to fit a mobile role.

After initial uses, most will quickly be dusting on a shelve.

Stylus? Useful indeed, but as for a Surface, not the selling point. How many Surface users spend whole work days without using the pen? A lot. Pen is useful, unavoidable in many situations. However, the real selling point of the Surface is its ability to turn a tablet in a laptop at will.

The real weapon of the Surface are its Kickstand and its USB and Display ports. You may use the Surface without the stylus, you can't really without Kickstands and ports if you 're sticking to its hybrid role: tablet and laptop.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dimensions (Landscape) source Apple:
Width : 12 in 305.7 mm
Height: 8.68 in 220.6 mm
Thick : 0.27 in 6.9mm

IPad Pro = BAT (Big Assed Tablet) I think I'll call mine the BATmobile :D

daniielrp

Would you trust any production work to an SD Card? In mine and many people I've spoken to's experience they seem to die very quick and are slow, cheap , poorly made and has been a driving factor as to why high end phones have been ditching them.

leeshor

I have a good friend and associate who works for a company where they have at least a dozen SP3s and many SPs and SP2s. They are storing production work on microSD but every chance they get it gets backed up on their serverr. At this point he tells me they have never had a problem. What I haven't asked is what brand/size.

kundas1

first off are they buying GENUIN microSD cards or Chinese knock offs? seems there is a TON of knock offs,even surprising they're finding their way onto Amazon as legits!