What's new

iPad Users Habits

jimp

Does anyone else find it strange that everyone on this forum has an iPad?
I have never owned an iPad. I am a website developer and maintainer of dozens of servers, and as hard as I tried to find (force) a use for a tablet in general, I continuously found myself leaving it at home, reaching for my phone (Galaxy S5), or generally wondering if I would have saved time by driving home or to my office to use a desktop computer.

When the SP3 was announced, I finally realized my usage (content creator vs content consumer) really needed a laptop for portability and power, but I just didn't want to take on the extra bulk daily vs carrying a tablet.

My experience with the SP3 has been outstanding. Oh, and it's a tablet when I need it, too. When I need apps the (lacking) Windows Store doesn't provide, Bluestacks with my Android apps is a decent workaround. But seriously, I'm using this tiny machine like crazy. My very capable desktop computer at home has only been powered on to transfer files off of it since I started using the SP3.

Scott Sanford

I, too am an iPad user. Work in IT, so I'm a Windows user most of the time, but equally proficient in Mac OS / UNIX. I like to think of my self as platform agnostic, but I'll be honest, I prefer Mac a bit in terms of design, but appreciate that real business NEEDS to be on Windows.

There are some things I've noticed:

1. Surface is really good, for a Windows machine, it's solid, well built and beautiful. Something Jony Ive might not be too embarrassed by, although it's not "Al-U-minnium" with chamfered edges. <G>

2. Fonts are easier to read on the iPad / Mac, something with the default system fonts, resolutions, etc. it is just easier.

3. The #1 thing that irks me is rotation. If you have an iPad, do the following: Rotate from Portrait to Landscape. Now do it on the SP3, you will see it's a 3-step process... Screen blanks, then it shows you a slightly pinched in / scaled screen in the original orientation, then it switches to the other orientation. Feels clunky and a waste of time... Just rotate damnit! <G>

4. I do miss gestures, 4-finger pinch to close an app, swipe 3 or 4 fingers from left to right to switch running apps. When you're in table mode, it could stand to be more tablet-ish...

5. The thing that really lessened the amazement with the experience is that my Surface has had network issues, had to be restored / repaired on day 2 of ownership. Some glitch had Device Manager riddled with splats. It's been mostly fine since then, but it wasn't a stellar first couple of days.

That being said, it's a great device for what it does, which quite frankly is a very quirky niche... I liken it to the Porsche 911. An absolutely ridiculous design executed rather well... The surface is backwards, but yet it performs well, and is a beautiful design.

yonghong

Right now I use both, can't get rid of iPad right now, the battery is much better than SP3, and SP3 is a such expensive tablet, I will keep the battery as good as possible.

cdf3

I just found tapatalk do have surface edition, good job.

Have you had any luck logging in using the Tapatalk app from the Windows App Store?
When I enter my login credentials, it never logs me in.
I've had success logging into other sites, but not this site.
I have to resort to logging in from my web browser, or from the Tapatalk app on my Android and iOS devices.

goodintentions

I have never owned an iPad. I am a website developer and maintainer of dozens of servers, and as hard as I tried to find (force) a use for a tablet in general, I continuously found myself leaving it at home, reaching for my phone (Galaxy S5), or generally wondering if I would have saved time by driving home or to my office to use a desktop computer.

When the SP3 was announced, I finally realized my usage (content creator vs content consumer) really needed a laptop for portability and power, but I just didn't want to take on the extra bulk daily vs carrying a tablet.

My experience with the SP3 has been outstanding. Oh, and it's a tablet when I need it, too. When I need apps the (lacking) Windows Store doesn't provide, Bluestacks with my Android apps is a decent workaround. But seriously, I'm using this tiny machine like crazy. My very capable desktop computer at home has only been powered on to transfer files off of it since I started using the SP3.
I would really really love to get an sp3, but for now I can't justify getting it. My $300 i5 2.6ghz with a solid drive cheap laptop won't break down. I use it for everything from design work (I'm an engineer) to writing inspection reports to developing apps (I also develop software). As long as this thing is running, no justification to buy sp3. :(

Nonseven

I've got an iPad Air and a Surface 3 and I actually think they make a great team. What one doesn't do so well the other does.

Just find a case that fits both of them.

cdf3

I'm still amazed as to how thin they were able to make the Surface Pro 3. It's about the same thickness as my iPad 3. I couldn't believe it at first because my iPad 3 looks thinner, due to the tapered edges. I placed both devices on a table with the screen facing up, and the thickness was about the same with the naked eye. Both screens were basically even.

Hah, I had an ipad vs surface issue this week in a teacher conference.

I have purchased ipad minis for use at my organizations' events. I bought some keyboards to go with them but I'd never used them before.

This week I made sure the ipads were charged and then proudly pulled the keyboards out and put the ipads on them and passed them out to people who needed them.

But the keyboards wouldn't work.

????

I found the on/off button on the keyboard and tried to click that, but nothing happened.

???

Eventually ipad "natives" pointed out that the keyboards had to be charged too. I had to go dig out the keyboard boxes (luckily I hadn't trashed them yet!) and find the little usb cables that were also in there.

Doh! I'm a Surface user. How was I supposed to know the keyboard needed to be charged? Hah!