What's new

Is anybody else using a Surface 3 and another Surface?

SRVwannab

I really like my S3 w/ LTE. The only thing I miss from my SP3 is the slightly more generous keyboard and the screen real estate when I am taking notes. So, for now, I'm keeping both tablets. I realize "hot-spotting" is easy, but I've got one of those unlimited grandfathered data plans that AT&T launched with first iPad, and I LOVE having a fully functioning computer- with all of the ports I guy could want, AND having unlimited LTE internet. In my mind that is way different than having an iPad that you could use for unlimited web surfing and Netflix.

Is anybody else still hanging on to their SP3's and using them along side their Surface 3's?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I have an S3 and other Surfaces :).

It might look a little weird but you can use that bigger SP3 keyboard on your Surface 3 too and with the SP4 keyboard you're getting a full sized keyboard with great feel and the best trackpad. Ask me if I care that it's bigger than the tablet. :) The up angle magnet doesn't work on the S3 though, doesn't mate up with the smaller device.

Edit, well the SP3 keyboard works, at the moment the SP4 keyboard isn't working... but that just may be a driver availability issue...

Edit 2 Looks like the SP4 keyboard issue for me is the drivers are Win 10 only and wont install on 8.1.
There is a Surface3 integration directory for it in the SP4 driver download so it should work on W10.

Last edited:

Turbo4AWD

I don't get this. I never have. You have a tablet Surface Pro 3 and you go and buy a Surface 3 to use as well??? Where is the logic in this?? Thats like buying an iPad Air 2 and then buy an iPad Mini and saying I use both. Please explain....

LibbyLA

I have both a SP3 and an S3. I find myself using the S3 (and my Dell Venue 8 Pro) more than the SP3. I find the smaller size of the S3 more convenient most of the time since I tend to have limited desk or table space when using a portable. If the S3 had been available when I got the SP3, I probably would have gotten only the S3. The 10" (give or take) screen size is a sweet spot for me.

kristalsoldier

I don't get this. I never have. You have a tablet Surface Pro 3 and you go and buy a Surface 3 to use as well??? Where is the logic in this?? Thats like buying an iPad Air 2 and then buy an iPad Mini and saying I use both. Please explain....

I have a SP3 and a S3 and I use both regularly. Here is how I use both. My work involves a lot of writing and reading. My SP3 is my primary writing and other computing work device. At that time, I had an iPad Air which was primarily used for my reading and reference work. But what I missed on it was the inking capability. With the release of the S3, I now have that capability. In essence, therefore, while the SP3, for me serves as a highly mobile, lightweight, but powerful, laptop, the S3 serves my as a pure tablet with inking capabilities. As a consequence, I don't have the Type Cover for the S3 since I don't need it and the Pen that came with the SP3 I use with the S3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Different tools for different scenarios, the S3 is my note taking device when my SP3/SP4 was docked into 2 external monitors. My S3 is my all day note taking device when I'm at a customer's site without access to mains.

My S3 is my couch surfer and reader. My SP3 and now my SP4 are my power houses that replace laptops and desktops but also goes out into the field with me often when I need more power.

VickiFL

We have one SP3, and two Surface 3's. (one is my daughter's) I use them both all the time because my Surface 3 is LTE.

Turbo4AWD

My apologies then. I just feel that when someone says "Powerhouse" for a device, that means it's a Core i7 with 16gb ram or more and some sort of addon graphics card to get work done. Personally, I don't feel that the Surface Pro 3 is power house enough to ever replace any of my laptops. If I were the type that would be replacing my laptop with a Surface Pro 3/4, I would also replace my tablet with it. It is small enough and powerful enough to perform both tasks comfortably.

My guess here is that the device is larger and heavier than the Surface 3.....but the power in the Surface Pro 3 alone would make me not want to even consider a Surface 3. The pro would be handling work and play flawlessly for me.

Also, it makes sense if maybe you drained the battery on the Pro 3 from work all day so you use the Surface 3 while the Pro 3 is charging.

Aside from that...maybe the heat/fan noise is too bothersome for "play".... or the psychological reason of "...Now I switched to a different device, so I no longer feel like I am at work..." may be the case.....dunno....

Last edited:
OP
S

SRVwannab

I had an SP3, and sold it a few weeks before the SP4 launch as I had planned on upgrading. While looking in my local classifieds I found a great deal on an S3 w/ LTE and really fell in love with the form factor. Unlike most of you (I'm guessing) I never felt like the SP3 was an ideal tablet. It just felt kind of big and heavy relative to the iPad Air 2 I also had. In contrast, the S3 is a great tablet -for me.

Then when the SP4's came out, I went and messed with them at the store. Discovered that the SP4 was indeed awesome, but the SP4 keyboard was the "must have"- I picked up a SP3 on eBay- added my new keyboard and I was off to the races.

It has not been being used nearly as much as my S3... not actually sure I'm keeping it- thus the thread. :)

OP
S

SRVwannab

Unlike the iPad in which my grandfathered unlimited data plan meant that I didn't have to worry about streaming movies on Netflix- with the S3 LTE, I have a real computer with the ability to have a computer that is ALWAYS connected. No worries about hot-spotting, WiFi availability, etc. Love it!