What's new

is anyone else unaffected by battery drain problem & did you manually solve it?

macmee

My friend murphy says as soon as I post this thread I'm going to begin experiencing this bug, and it is Microsoft we're talking about here so this is probably accurate.

Is there anyone here who *isn't* suffering from the battery drain bug on the SP4? If you're not, did you fix it somehow, and if you DID fix it somehow would you please state how you fixed it so that the googlers can know what to do? Methods I've seen are:

1. disable microsoft hello

2. update battery driver in device settings from 2006 to 2013 (yes, msft shipped with battery drivers from 2006 lol)

3. enable hibernate mode to just obliterate the issue altogether (but this causes slower boot time)

4. disable wifi in sleep

jtuck82

I'm only losing about 5% over probably around 8 hours when I fold the screen down for overnight. I am using windows hello as well. My SP4 is pretty rock solid so far. Battery life could be a little better but I'm getting about 6:30 hours according to batter report. I have the i5/8/256. I haven't enabled hibernate either.

polbit

On my 2nd SP4 i5/8/256, and not having any issues with battery. Have Hello running, but it does switch to hibernate after 120 minutes.

Philtastic

I used to have battery drain during sleep but then my keyboard port died and I got a full system replacement and then there were the updates on Monday that happened on the same day that I got the replacement. Now, my battery drains at about 0.5-1% per hour in sleep instead of 5-15%.

leeshor

Mine has always only drained <0.5% per hour sleeping. Hello not enabled, yet, but WiFi is off while sleeping except when plugged in.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure all the current updates are installed and my understanding is that more updates are coming soon potentially next week....

EMINENT

No problems here after the 11/2 update. 1% an hour drain while sleep and i'm happy with that. No disabling of hello or anything else besides wifi off on battery setting.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I strenuously objected to battery drain and I'm pretty sure that solved it. :)

But I did some of those other things
1. disable microsoft hello Never enabled it.

2. update battery driver in device settings from 2006 to 2013 (yes, msft shipped with battery drivers from 2006 lol) Wasn't having a problem but did that after reading this just to see what it would do.

3. enable hibernate mode to just obliterate the issue altogether (but this causes slower boot time) Nope.

4. disable wifi in sleep Yep.

surfdogg

Battery life has improved significantly by doing these things:

1. Update Battery Driver
2. Disable SmartScreen Filter
3. Turn Off Wifi Sense
4. Updated the 11/2 firmware

I have turned Hello back on and haven't had a problem (yet) and I have turned it so it's set to sleep when I close the cover, etc. I really want sleep to work right so I've been testing it all day. So far so good. One time I opened up the keyboard and the screen wouldn't turn on, however.

My battery life is almost DOUBLE today vs how fast it drained yesterday. I did those four things this morning.

I made a blog post with a lot of this outlined so people can find it all in one place. I've been trying to keep it updated as I find new tips. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Last edited:
I fixed my battery issues after updating the battery driver. I love Windows Hello and refuse to turn it off. I also keep wifi on during sleep.

All of my issues with the SP4 have been addressed with the latest insider builds and latest firmware drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
TH2 includes a new Marvell Wireless Driver that isn't backwards compatible with Windows 8.x, it is the first ground up Windows 10 driver for the Marvell Chip.

OP
macmee

macmee

TH2 includes a new Marvell Wireless Driver that isn't backwards compatible with Windows 8.x, it is the first ground up Windows 10 driver for the Marvell Chip.
any idea why they shipped a battery driver from 2006?