What's new

is anyone else unaffected by battery drain problem & did you manually solve it?

Zippy0n

My S3 also had the 2006 battery driver - just installed the 2013 driver, let's see how better battery is now, before I updated I got around 9 to 9 1/2 hours.

I'm unsure about updating the battery driver. I did, and it affects the battery saver mode, at least for me. I can reproduce the problem but updating the driver, rebooting, and putting the PC in battery saver mode. Normally, this would make the screen dim a bit. However, it doesn't after updating the driver, making me think it isn't working correctly ... or maybe it is correct? Anyway, I rolled back the driver for now.

My depletion rate is about 500 to 700 mW per hour during connected standby (hibernation turned off), so between 1 and 2 % of a 39Wh battery. That seems reasonable to me. I do have Hello turned off, but I plan to turn that back on since I like it. I had hibernation turned off to see the drain rate over a longer period of time, but I will set that to 60 minutes after going into Connected StandBy

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
where can i find the newest battery driver for the sp4?
Windows Update but you have to initiate the Update Driver search in Device Manager specifically for the device.

There's some uncertainty that this NEW Driver is really "ALL THAT". Why didn't Windows Update find it before? Is this *newer* 2013 driver from NEC really the right one??? or is this a Windows Update error??? Time will tell.
http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-book-and-surface-pro-4-battery-drivers-out-of-date

stammie

My SP4 wont let me update the battery driver, whatever I do it tells me the 2006 driver is the most up to date one,
any ideas how to force this update?

My SP4 wont let me update the battery driver, whatever I do it tells me the 2006 driver is the most up to date one,
any ideas how to force this update?

Same here. I had updated the driver, but rolled it back. Now, it tells me the 2006 version is current. I don't think the update was correct to begin with. Perhaps Microsoft fixed something on their end with their update servers.

mva5580

Are people really getting a legitimate ~9 hours of battery life with the SP4? If so, I may have to seriously consider getting one.

My main tasks with a SP4 would essentially be web browsing, watching some light videos, light office work, things like that. Is 9 hours really within reach? I tend to have the brightness pretty low on my devices too, if it matters much.

leeshor

Are people really getting a legitimate ~9 hours of battery life with the SP4? If so, I may have to seriously consider getting one.

My main tasks with a SP4 would essentially be web browsing, watching some light videos, light office work, things like that. Is 9 hours really within reach? I tend to have the brightness pretty low on my devices too, if it matters much.
I have managed more than 11 hours twice but typically 8-9. The last charge was close to 10. Lots of adjustments in privacy, feedback and live tiles.

mva5580

I have managed more than 11 hours twice but typically 8-9. The last charge was close to 10. Lots of adjustments in privacy, feedback and live tiles.

Hmmm, interesting. I had thought people were getting closer to ~7. I wouldn't mind making adjustments to things like that, and I'd definitely turn off the live tiles anyway. May have to pick one up.

leeshor

Hmmm, interesting. I had thought people were getting closer to ~7. I wouldn't mind making adjustments to things like that, and I'd definitely turn off the live tiles anyway. May have to pick one up.
No 2 people are likely to get the same results as everyone has different configurations and use different apps in different ways but yeah, it's doable. The least time I got on a change was 6 hours and that was transferring a ton of stuff across my local network and several restarts for app installs.