What's new

Is anyone using a 3rd party stylus with their Surface?

dangeroso

Because it is a capacitive screen, it would seem that we don't need to buy a Pro to use a stylus. Any capacitive screen stylus should work. I'm thinking about buying a 3rd party one to try out with Onenote. Just curious if anyone is already doing this, and/or has any suggestions.

OP
D

dangeroso

Well, as an update to my own question, I spent some time at a co-worker's desk trying out some of his styluses with mixed results. The rubber tipped ones didn't register at all. I think the contact surface of those were too small to work. The best of the bunch by far was the Jot Pro. I tried another smaller Jot as well, but it only left a trail of dots, rather than a clean line.

I'll be ordering a Jot Pro today, most likely. All of them were tested using Autodesk Sketchbook Express, which is a fantastic free app, for those that don't already have it.

guitar1969

Well, as an update to my own question, I spent some time at a co-worker's desk trying out some of his styluses with mixed results. The rubber tipped ones didn't register at all. I think the contact surface of those were too small to work. The best of the bunch by far was the Jot Pro. I tried another smaller Jot as well, but it only left a trail of dots, rather than a clean line.

I'll be ordering a Jot Pro today, most likely. All of them were tested using Autodesk Sketchbook Express, which is a fantastic free app, for those that don't already have it.

Did the Jot Pro work well for writing test or just drawing on the Surface? I had looked into the Jot Pro and the thing I heard is the tip wears out really fast so you have to keep buying replacement tips constantly.

OP
D

dangeroso

Did the Jot Pro work well for writing test or just drawing on the Surface? I had looked into the Jot Pro and the thing I heard is the tip wears out really fast so you have to keep buying replacement tips constantly.

I did some writing too. It was smooth and consistent.

I have not heard about the wearing down of the tip, but I have read some reports of micro surface scratches. I may also be getting a protective screen cover as well to avoid this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the Jot Pro, and it is by far the best Capacitive Stylus I've used, just make sure your screen is free of dust before you use it :) My inking experience is very close to what is was with an Active Digitizer, I only use it for notes and diagrams, not art though. Sometimes I use the rubber tipped kind when I tire of getting finger prints all over the screen, but that is short lived.