What's new

Solved Is it not possible to get rid of the hump in the touch cover

kiwigirl

Maybe im just OCD about this, but when I use the SP3 on a desk, I never attach the 2nd magnet, because to me the typing feels much more solid when the cover is flat on the table.

But the thing is, over time as you take the cover off and on from the SP, you know the bend at the top where the 2 magnets are? Well when you go lay the touch cover on a table, it will form a slight hump near the top. So then your top 3 rows on the keyboard wont feel nearly as solid because its not 100% flat to the table surface. At first i thoughtwhat weirtir393

This is very annoying. I dont know if its from a cheaply poorly built keyboard or because its fabric based and maybe theres no way to prevent this simply cause its fabric and not your standard plastic housed keyboard.

What I also notice is that the further back of an angle you have the SP3 set to, the keyboard gets worse and more raised from the table.

Any tips or suggestions?

EDIT: I think I found the problem, OMG its the pen loop holder! Are you freakin kidding me!??!?! I have it on the left side of the keyboard and this would explain why the left side raises up a bit higher now than the right.

Last edited:
OP
K

kiwigirl

Fixed it. Its the damn pen loop holder *sigh*

Just removed it and problem fixed, keyboard lays flat. What a terrible design on the loop holder. WTF am i suppose to do now? Waste of $5 and trip to the store getting it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was gong to chime in but it seems you're doing fine on your own. :) I think Paul Simon wrote a song...
There mist be 50 ways to hold your pen. I'm sure that was it ... :D

Aeron15

mine is still very slighlty raised because I always kept it magnetically attached to the base. I guess the keyboard got deformed from always being folded. I never use the keyboard flat anyway since the tables at my school are not that clean and the keyboard's material is a wonderful dirt magnet.

OP
K

kiwigirl

I was gong to chime in but it seems you're doing fine on your own. :) I think Paul Simon wrote a song...
There mist be 50 ways to hold your pen. I'm sure that was it ... :D

Well I removed the holder and i guess its really a one time stick thing, as I did some experimenting seeing if it would raise the touch cover if i put it just below the trackpad and unfortunately it does. So I tossed it out. Will have to do without it and I guess i will just have to carry the pen seperately, which sucks.

All the touch cover needed was to have a small section (the size of the loop holder sticky part) slightly indented like maybe 1 or 2mm and it would prevent the touch cover from raising when the holder is on. Design flaw on MS part.

Trim the end of the pen loop and stick it up by the hinge as in these pics. Sticks better, more out of the way. Just make sure it's on the left side of the device so you're not obscuring the charging port.

3646-724025f497a522f47bef480986a3c74a.jpg
3647-b6a2ac4e7138435a80cddd22da66a52d.jpg
3648-75f485fb7734f5e3605fea0258a79029.jpg

kundas1

I tried sticking it under the stand and it doesn't close properly... why are you guys sticking it there?

I tried sticking it under the stand and it doesn't close properly... why are you guys sticking it there?

Uhh you must be doing it wrong, because it closes perfectly. You probably have it positioned right up against the hinge - lower it a few mm and it'll close as if it's not there.

As for why, it sticks better than against the fabric of the type cover. Also, I like having it on my device at all times, which isn't the case if I had it attached to my type cover and forgot it at home or something while at uni.

kundas1

no I tried upper then lower and it does NOT close flat either way... which puts more stress on the hinge.

no I tried upper then lower and it does NOT close flat either way... which puts more stress on the hinge.

Strange, as mine closes perfectly. Only other thing I can think of is that you're attaching the plastic part of the loop in the gap, which does result in it to not close flat. You need to trim it and then only use the sticky part of the loop - but I'm assuming you've done all this correctly.

kundas1

no I didn't try further as it wasn't closing properly and I didn't investigate further...

Telstar1948

Put mine on the left side of my SP3 just below the volume rocker and just above the kickstand. It's out of the way with no issues, and it holds the pen away from the body of the SP3 just enough so that it doesn't rub.