What's new

Is it only me?

Bigdud

I've had my SP4 for over a year now, and I've never had such a bad experience with any computer I've ever owned. (and there have been many). In a word, it's simply flaky. Its return from standby/hibernation is inconsistent, the touch screen frequently fails to respond to the pen or my finger, and it requires a reboot more times than I care to have to do in order to temporarily clear things up.

All the problems I'm mentioning are well documented but THEY ARE NEVER FIXED. There has been a plethora of updates, each claiming to be the one which will set things right, but it never happens.

I'm ashamed of Microsoft for putting such a bad product into the marketplace. The biggest mystery of all is why no one has been as vocal as I. Perhaps no one has the energy to raise the issue.....perhaps no one is even aware of how bad it really is....or perhaps my unit is simply defective, but I wouldn't bet on that....

Plantje

In these cases one can wonder: are other options that much better? I must say: I am quite disappointed in my Surface 3 as well. I recognize the touch screen not working from time to time when resuming from sleep. Performance overall when returning from sleep.
Last week I was in the train and as I was restarting my Surface 3 for the second time and the thing going automatically to tablet mode and back and forth the girl opposite of me was just watching some Netflix on her iPad. And I felt more and more ashamed...

With regards to the phone I am convinced: ever since my girlfriend has a Galaxy S7 I have learned that Android and the performance on that specific hardware is so much better that I can wait until the Galaxy S8 is released and then I will switch. I've been using Windows and Microsoft products for years and years now, but this is just impossible to continue using.

With regards to tablets I think of switching to Android (or iOS). However, there is one thing that I really use in my Surface 3: I actually use the full Excel client for work. I think (but I am going to test that) the "Online" Excel version will not do it. Otherwise the Galaxy Book 10.6" would perhaps be an option. In general: I want to go for lighter, thinner etc...not more powerful and larger.

But I really see what you mention here. In general people tend to run to the media sooner to complain than to be positive. However, I am on my fourth Surface 3 within a year now (and the fifth is about to be ordered) and I have been experiencing the same issues and annoyances with all of them. Perhaps I will have a similar experience with a Galaxy Book 10.6" or a Galaxy Tab S3...but let's wait and see.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very happy here. Even being on the fast track I find it to be almost always reliable. When it's not, Microsoft take onboard feedback in the insider hub and it usually gets fixed within a week or two.

fs161200

I've had my S4Pro i7-16/512 GB ~a year now and with the exception of having it replaced 2 month ago (SSD died - received a brand new replacement unit next day) my experience is much different.

For ref: My use case, Heavy Office use inc Visio/Project, MoM/Todo on OneNote with Pen - also using Autodesk SketchBook and Sketchable for drawing, Travel reading (Kindle for PC), Evening gaming (WoW/GW2) with Netflix, HBO for other leisure, . I'm a frequent traveler (~120-150 flights per year, ½ a year in hotels).

Initially I had some wake from connected standby and battery life issues which were fixed by firmware updates around April last year. Since then the only issues I've had has been related to running fast ring insider - which is to be expected. Usually these issues (such as flaky Bluetooth, broken hello etc.) are fixed within a build or two.
As a device I have been really happy. It is really stable, with about 8hrs of use on a full charge with a perfect pen experience and good Wi-Fi experience with many different hotel and office Wi-Fi hotspots. My recommendation is to get your device replaced and see if a new unit fixes your problems.

If there is one thing I would love to see in the next gen - it would be WWAN.

From a satisfied S4P user :)

OP
B

Bigdud

The responses by fs161200 and hughlle above lead me to believe that my device should be replaced, but I hesitate for the following reasons:
  1. hardware issues generally demonstrate total failure vs. on-again/off-again problems like I experience.
  2. I am not about to spend another $1,500 for a new computer. What are the odds that I can get my machine replaced? It's out of warranty of course.

Plantje

Out of warranty? Here in the Netherlands Microsoft provides 2 years of warranty.

I've had my device replaced for three times now based on hardware issues.

OP
B

Bigdud

I will sell my house, pack my suitcase, turn the clock back 16 months, and immediately move to the Netherlands.

Philtastic

I'll chime in that I also faced frustrations with my unit waking from sleep on its own and burning through the battery (possibly getting pretty hot in my bag) and issues with touch or keyboard not responding on wake requiring restarts but, as of maybe late last year, I'd say that almost all of the major issues with the SP4 had been fixed. Sure, it took almost a year for Microsoft to work out the bugs (which makes me hesitant to buy any Microsoft hardware until long after it launches), and I had posted a bit of a rant last August because problems that were present early and fixed came back after a major update, but I'm now decently satisfied with the SP4 once again. One reason I have for this is that no other tablet really matches it or they also have bugs and problems. Although other tablets are cheaper, they tend not to have as good a screen, keyboard, or stylus. The closest was probably the Lenovo Miix 700 with its Wacom stylus but it, too, had problems.

So, overall, there hasn't been a lot of good competition in the Windows tablet space such that I'd still recommend the SP4 over any other unless budget can't meet the price.