What's new

Is it possible to avoid S4P waking up when power is connected?

Mastiff

I often connect the unit to power just to charge it. After the fixes a while back that meant that I don't have to go into hibernation to avoid killing the battery power every time I do, I went started using sleep mode instead. But my S4P i5 wakes up and fires the IR camera and starts looking for me when I connect it to power. Is there a setting somewhere that stops this behaviour? I tried looking in the advanced power options, but didn't find it. I really only want it to wake up from sleep when I push the power button, not with any other key, power connecting or anything.

Gui0312

The only thing that I have seen in my limited amount of time with SP4 (5 days) is that I went into advanced power options and clicked for the SP4 to go into Hibernation when I press the sleep (power) button or when I close the lid. At that point it doesn't wake nor does it drain my battery at all. The first day off power, in stand-by mode it drained like 56% and was really hot in about a couple of hours. Since then, it's been much better, hibernation does put it in deep sleep but with the SSD it's hardly noticeable.

OP
Mastiff

Mastiff

Yeah, I know that. But the thing is that it stopped draining much in stand-by after the last firmware update, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Are you sure you have the last Windows Update?

EMINENT

I am currently having something similar in that mine won't go to sleep on it's own when plugged in. Unplugged, it does.

All up to date and in latest Insider 14361.

Zkyevolved

My SP4 wakes up when I plug in or even unplug the power cord, and fails to sleep. Multiple times I'll have my device sleeping on my desk (charged and charging) and have to leave and grab it, yank of the charging cord and feel my back warm up little by little through the heat of the SP4 in my backpack... :( If it's sleeping it should stay sleeping!

It won't wake up if I open the keyboard because I want to use it, but it will turn on when I plug it in or unplug it?! Come on Surface team!

drjacka

I have the same issue. When I pick up my SP4 off my desk at home to take to work it wakes up and stays awake and is warm until I get to work and start to use it. By then it's drained 20% of the battery!

My current work around is unplug then wake up and sleep it manually before leaving. Very annoying.