What's new

Is it possible to run Tails 1.1 privacy software on a Surface Pro 3?

BenT

I have been trying to get Tails to run on my Surface Pro 3. I have tried everything to no avail, including disabling secure boot and starting from both a Tails DVD and USB key (obviously not at the same time) through the "update and recovery" settings. The Surface ignores the DVD and USB key and goes straight into bitlocker recovery. The Tails software people have not able to identify the problem. If any of you like a challenge, head over to tails.boum.org, download the Tails software, and see of you can get it to run on a Surface Pro 3. Please let me know if you figure out how to get it to work. Thank you!

William Adams

I have been trying to get Tails to run on my Surface Pro 3. I have tried everything to no avail, including disabling secure boot and starting from both a Tails DVD and USB key (obviously not at the same time) through the "update and recovery" settings. The Surface ignores the DVD and USB key and goes straight into bitlocker recovery. The Tails software people have not able to identify the problem. If any of you like a challenge, head over to tails.boum.org, download the Tails software, and see of you can get it to run on a Surface Pro 3. Please let me know if you figure out how to get it to work. Thank you!

I use this to run any .iso on my Surface. I haven't tried it with Tails but it works well for Vector. Turn on Hyper-V and create a virtual disk with the .iso in it (in your case, Tails). You can boot the vhd w/o rebooting your machine and run both 8.1 and Tails at the same time. Be sure you are in the Tails partition before you get on the net. I can't speak to the privacy issues of running Tails in the VM environment but it does boot.

William Adams

I use this to run any .iso on my Surface. I haven't tried it with Tails but it works well for Vector. Turn on Hyper-V and create a virtual disk with the .iso in it (in your case, Tails). You can boot the vhd w/o rebooting your machine and run both 8.1 and Tails at the same time. Be sure you are in the Tails partition before you get on the net. I can't speak to the privacy issues of running Tails in the VM environment but it does boot.

Just a quick update. Running Tails in Hyper V only works for a fresh definition of the vxd each time. After each boot, the following attempt to boot receives a corrupted boot sector warning from the Hyper V client window. This can be corrected by redefining the vxd before each boot.

It seems possible that the Tails boot is corrupting the .iso installed boot sector which causes EUFI ( or legacy ) to ignore it on subsequent boots
and continue to the next candidate in the boot device list.