What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

kristalsoldier

"Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?"

From what I have seen in pics and videos, I thought it was worth it. Yes, even at the cost MS wants for it.

But from yesterday, I know - not think - that it is worth it. I know this because I got the SP4 type cover which I am using with my SP3. It is brilliant actually - though, as I read someplace recently, the Surface (at least the SP3) has become more a laptop with this iteration of the Type Cover and less of a tablet (for me - my Surface 3 serves as my tablet). The Type Cover, in my opinion, is that good.

The Type Cover has become stiffer which is a good thing! And it is has become more quiet - which is an even better thing. The keys are really comfortable to work on and the trackpad, as many have pointed out, is excellent.

With the previous version, my preference was to use the Type Cover flat and not propped up with the magnets at the bottom of the screen. I felt that it flexed too much. The keys were also rather noisy. But with this iteration, this is mostly worked out. While problems are not completely solved, the improvement is remarkably noticeable - and for the better!

I think the Type Cover at the price MS is asking for it is fair and, if you see it from my point of view, also a bargain. For me it is a bargain because and this is the part that MS may not like - I now don't see a need to upgrade to the SP4 immediately. Since I was already fine with how the SP3 is performing for me. the addition of the new Type Cover has dramatically improved one of the primary ways I interact with the device - enough for me to defer my purchase of a successor machine to the next generation. I'd say it is a bargain.

DocACE911

Upgrade to the sp4 cover makes me NOT want an sp4. I was too cheap to upgrade myself - brother in law got it for me

Wow. So solid. The slight space between keys makes such a difference. Having a real touchpad is incredible

Now if only I could get the fingerprint reader to work on Windows 8

r0b123

I agree, I kept the Sp4 type cover w/finger print scanner and love using it on my Sp3. As much as I started using the Sp4, I really loved the reliability and how the type cover itself made the Sp3 "new to me" again. I ended up returning the Sp4 a week later.

toematoe

so far using the old type cover. typing is smooth but not great due to the placement of the keys which is rather different from the usual laptop. Registering a right or left click on the trackpad is getting bad to worst... doing a drag and drop on the old type cover is finicky... anyone has issues with theirs?